No announcement yet.

Coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to be a coffee snob. The mail order specialty coffee type. It was just a phase. It turns out I actually like instant coffee; Nescafe Classico to be exact. I even drink it at home. Yeah, I am a coffee heathen now.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal

Comment

FWIW, Boiled (but not filtered) coffee apparently raises LDL (bad) cholesterol and slightly lowers HDL (good)

"The way you prepare your cup of joe may influence your cholesterol levels, too. 'The one coffee we know not suitable to be drinking is the boiled coffee,' said Marilyn C. Cornelis, an assistant professor in preventive medicine at the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and co-author of the JAMA Internal Medicine study . . . the oil in boiled coffee has cafestol and kahweol, compounds called diterpenes. They are shown to raise LDL, the bad cholesterol, and slightly lower HDL, what’s known as the good kind.

Rob van Dam, a professor at Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health at National University of Singapore [said] 'For people with cholesterol issues, it’s better to switch to other types of coffee.' He’s been studying coffee for two decades. (And, yes, he’s had a lot of coffee in that time.)

However, other researchers say not to throw out the boiled coffee just yet. The clinical significance of such small increases in cholesterol may be questionable, given that it’s not associated with an increase in cardiovascular deaths.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/s...-benefits.html

Comment

And I'm just guessing here ('I'm not a Doctor') but the 20 to 30 mornings/year I do drink it that way is not the worst thing I do to myself

Comment

I drink Folgers Instant every morning. That way, when I do get a cup of real coffee, I appreciated it so much I can't even describe it.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry650 View Post
            I drink Folgers Instant every morning. That way, when I do get a cup of real coffee, I appreciated it so much I can't even describe it.
            Every morning I drink a cup of great coffee that I appreciate every sip of !!

Comment

If there are any instant coffee drinkers out there feeling left out there is an alternative just for them called dalgona coffee. Take equal measures of coffee crystals, sugar and hot water, apply several minutes of electric mixing till the mixture is all whipped up to a creamy pudding consistency, and then add to cold or warm milk for either an iced coffee or latté. Sounds weird and wonderful I suppose but I'm not going to try it. Any kinda coffee requiring an electric hand mixer is a bit out there even for me, although you could manage with manual labour. But you try it at home and get back to us.
              Last edited by Odyssey; 04-28-2020, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Last summer I participated in the Voyagers Challenge which was for me a 240 mile unsupported race. I did not bring anything to cook with. I need some caffeine some times in the morning to get rid of a small headache. I prepared each morning’s nourishment and packed it is a ziplock bag. It consisted of 1 cup of raisin brand, 1/3 cup Nido, and one tbls instant coffee. My luxury items on the trip were a cup and a spoon. Dump the ziplock in the cup add water and eat with the spoon. Cleanup was deliciously simple.

Comment

Bonjour a tous, Good morning all
                  I have a preference to grind the coffee on site, for the rest I do like everyone else, even without necessarily boiling the water to let it sit.

Comment

Bonjour Tom, hope you are well.

Comment

Hello Odyssée, how to get to date.

Comment

You will get caught up and up to date in no time I am sure.
                        Ça marche bien ici, pas trop pire a ce moment ci. En tous cas, j'aime votre moulin à café.
                        That coffee mill is a beautiful and useful device. I like the photo!
                        Last edited by Odyssey; 04-30-2020, 08:06 AM.

Comment

I've been drinking cowboy coffee at home for almost two years and I'm stickin with it. On my last trip I stuck with the cone filter that I had been using for years, preferring to keep my water boiling pot clean, but I think this will change in the future.

As far as instant coffee goes I used to use the international flavored coffee that came in little tins. they were good but I lost my taste for flavored coffee. Instant coffee will definitely satisfy a need for caffeine.

Comment

Coffee it seems is a highly personal matter of taste, just like so many things. I wouldn't mind trying them all.
                            Our eldest son returned from afar bearing surprise gifts, candied wild salmon for Dad and a pound of Chilean coffee for Mom. Ha, good boy. Welcome home.
                            As a birthday surprise our best friends recently gave my wife a pound of Guatemalan coffee beans. Dark roast of course. Another welcome surprise.

Comment

Working...
                            X