• Happy Birthday, Simon Fraser (1776-1862)! 🧭🏞 4️⃣9️⃣

Painting a wood strip canoe???

Reaction score
Has anybody painted their stripper? how did it come out? what did you use? Thinking about painting the exterior of a strip built racing boat, keeping the interior wood finish though. Opinions, advice, information? Boat is currently just epoxy coated, no varnish.

Thanks John R.

I've painted the insides of my strippers for years. I use tremclad usually, although I did get an oil based green dory paint once. Painting the outside is a great plan, you get ultimate UV protection, and when you see enough scratches, you can just roll on a couple more coats.

I painted the exterior of my last build. It was the plan from the beginning. Although I did try to pigment the resin it wouldn't cover so I used Beauty Tone Rust Paint tinted to the colour I wanted. Easy touch up with the finish underneath close to the same.

Although PB ate most of the photo's in the thread, page sixteen has some to see.

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums...ssions/diy/35511-jack-s-morris-special/page16

I've painted one of my strippers. I originally intended to only use pigmented epoxy, but the pigment allowed the strips to bleed through, and I couldn't get the "pop" to the surface finish that I was striving towards. So I rolled and tipped the exterior using Interlux Topside. So far, it's held up well to some rough use. It also helps that the resin under the paint is nearly the same color.
I'm very pleased with the aesthetics, take a look and see if a painted hull is for you...

View attachment jItFizZ8xb_F7ErAeEXghBF_KwPEA5sgflOSO-PI72EXuCqKkmTTNq6f2oPHPsoyYM8LMyRlrppSm_psD4zyjNuYhAnoSBvlrELi

View attachment VYuzDrWqkYnD6uDOrb_tOrBcbTJEfFYgsqHdxnkffKuLaAW7q_hH79yPbFKHW2IAov3PGoDniI2GPWoswiOLh4dQYHKj__u8jI0f

View attachment qePw2B1atVz15lEHQVQSF-kdRSPGoe01Hm1YAO1Fm3jnBOYpLp1l7kboVfPQHH3p7z5USQOgnUbjHEIW-AhQtYWehNyNgRDV7Svd

Thanks everyone for your reply's and sorry for the slow response. I do believe I am going to end up painting the exterior of this build. Mihun09 and Stripperguy your boats look great! Alan, I was considering using Rustoleum so funny that you mentioned it. Do you use any kind of primer underneath or do you just paint on sanded glass? Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

John R.

Thanks everyone for your reply's and sorry for the slow response. I do believe I am going to end up painting the exterior of this build. Mihun09 and Stripperguy your boats look great! Alan, I was considering using Rustoleum so funny that you mentioned it. Do you use any kind of primer underneath or do you just paint on sanded glass? Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

John R.

No primer for me. I'm not looking for perfection or something that won't scratch. No matter how good the paint is I think it will chip off easily. So I went for readily available and cheap. If I ever want it will be easy enough to scuff the boat with sandpaper and slap on another coat. You can get Rustoleum mixed in custom colors at some places, which I didn't know before I stumbled across that at Menards.

Alan

I painted this one, to hide a crappy fiberglass job, but I really like way it tured out.

Attachments

• photo9001.jpg
    photo9001.jpg
    516.6 KB · Views: 6
Back