• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Jack's - Morris - Special

That is one beautiful boat!! I'm really liking the painted exterior of wood stripped hulls, shows off their curves without screaming for attention...
I bet you're thrilled that it performs well. What about the howlin' wolf?

Nice work on both canoes ! I like the bow and stern profile on that stripper ! Sweet !

Finally got her wet. She's a keeper! Love the boat. I'm going to have to build another, with simpler decks for tripping with, likely get her under 50 pounds too.

dang I like the classic looks of that boat. The dark brightwork on cream hull is outstanding (no pun intended).

Not just the looks; there are a lot of details on that hull that appeal to me; stem band, slotted inwales, curved thwart, beautifully sturdy decks and a wide contour seat placement that sings to my peculiar further-back solo preferences.

As a build description and photo essay this thread and discussion would be hard to beat for wealth of information, and the end result bespeaks paddling pleasure.

Out of curiosity, where do painter lines attach?

Thanks everyone, it has been an adventure in building for certain. Lots of leanin' done and new tricks for future boats maybe.

Mike

I'm not drilling any holes in my nice decks for painters and considering this boat will be for day paddles and showy type things, I can continue to just attach them through the scuppers. I made a rope bridle that ties off to the scuppers for bow lines on the vehicle tie down. With the decks primarily being just a 1/4" thick veneer, even a brass painter ring wouldn't have much strength.

The hull colour in daylight pretty much looks like raw canvas, so we are calling that custom mix "canvas". There is discolouration, yellow spots, that appeared while it was sitting on the racks. They somewhat wash off but it may be a issue with the flat white and gloss yellow being slightly different in formula's and the yellow is trying to separate. Due to that it will likely get redone in gloss and I will just remix the colour.

The graphics take a new twist now, since we are kicking up the business and I'm thinking instead of the wolf, of putting the company logo on the boat, or the wolf on the bow and the logo on the stern. Not certain on that yet but it likely won't get striped until over the Winter or next Spring anyway, plenty of time to decide.

When I first get in a new boat, I give it a hefty wiggle. I rock the boat back and forth to see how "tippy" it may be. Maybe it is due to the seat being fairly low, but this boat is loose at first but when it leans over a bit it just stops moving. Rock solid in a lean and at no point, no matter how much I pushed, did it ever feel like it was going to roll over on me. It hit that degree of tilt and stopped dead. I never did try kneeling in it but sat for the 3 hour paddle and it was very comfortable the entire time. I make my seats wider and deeper than most so they are more comfy, my bum fits between the rails.

No Title

So, finally got around to doing the striping on the boat. Been just over a year for the last post in this thread and of course, the photo's are all gone now thanks to PB. Oh well.

Been ill so I needed to do something that wasn't too stressful so I figured striping the boat would fill the bill since pulling tape is pretty light duty, just time consuming. I pretty much followed the original plan with just a change to the stern, but the theme holds.

I use the bottom of the outwale as a guide for shape, pull a length of tape following the bottom edge then work from there. I was going with two stripes, different weights and just fill in with tape, following edges for guides then pull out where you want to paint.

I also had a logo I wanted to use that I drew up last year. That is a little bit more finicky but 20 years in the sign industry gave me the skills needed. One piece of paint mask vinyl, one size as template, some tape and a sharp xacto knife. I use the glass coffee table as my light table and a flashlight, although more light would have been better for my old eyes.

I didn't do so well on the circle, my eyes being old, but I mentioned that already. Good enough though for hand done.

Logo is middle of the boat and the wolves face forward on opposite sides. Same pattern on front and back as well, no patterns, just hand pulled since you cannot really see both sides at the same time.

I mixed up a nice burgundy in oil paint, gave the to be painted area a scratch with steel wool, tack rag then lay the paint on with one of my Dad's old quills that he gave me. Sign writing runs in the family. Unfortunately it took two coats, that is due to no lead in the paint anymore, used to be one coat coverage.

Tomorrow I will clean up the bleeds and paint the other side. Maybe Sunday get it out in the yard for some better photos.

Attachments

• photo7741.jpg
    photo7741.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 3
  • photo7742.jpg
    photo7742.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo7743.jpg
    photo7743.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo7744.jpg
    photo7744.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo7745.jpg
    photo7745.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo7746.jpg
    photo7746.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo7747.jpg
    photo7747.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo7748.jpg
    photo7748.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo7749.jpg
    photo7749.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo7750.jpg
    photo7750.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo7751.jpg
    photo7751.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo7752.jpg
    photo7752.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo7753.jpg
    photo7753.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 3
The pictures dont do it justice. It really is an amazing job.

I am very impressed with what can be done with artistry, a vinyl mask and Excato knife. I really like the way the accent lines carry the recurve swoop down and under. Pretty work.

Will you be topcoating the logo and accent lines to prevent scraping the paint?

Mike, no top coat. It is rust paint and although I could get a clear, I won't risk it attacking the paint and messing up the work. Painted graphics are way more durable than any vinyl anyway. If I do scratch it I can touch it up. The vinyl on my Swift has many scratches and tears in it, but if I wanted, I could take a tracing, buy some gold vinyl and cut new ones instead of ordering from them.

Thanks everyone. This little detail might have pushed Christy over the edge into wanting her own, so now we have to remake the mold stations since we ummm, lost the ones Mem gave us.

Karin

No Title

So now we can end this thread with photos of the full graphics in a better environment.

Attachments

• photo7830.jpg
    photo7830.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7831.jpg
    photo7831.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back