• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Jack's - Morris - Special

Karin that is so classy looking. Can't wait to see it with the graphic on. I hope you are stepping back and looking at what we are seeing, instead of giving it the critical eye at nose length away. You and I are our own worst critics.

Rippy, there ain't enough room in the shop to step back without climbing on something, especially with two boats in there now. Maybe next weekend we can get it outside and really see it. The hull colour is a cream with an obvious yellow content that cannot be seen indoors at all. If I get that last coat of varnish on tomorrow...

That is ONE SWEET Build Karin !
My hat is off to you !
I know full well your desire to paddle her !

Of course we will be expecting pics ! :D

Jim

We were not sure about the white accent line between the gunwales but it grows on you the more you see it. This is a really classic looking boat and having paddled Mem's I have no doubt about it's handling once it gets in the water. I may have to make one for myself but I am thinking take the lines off the Canadian that we sold
About the shop. It is verrrry crowded in there at present. I have the Tremblay in for final paint before it goes for sale. We have the bandsaw, a compressor, some rims, a generator, another bandsaw, sump pump, wood wood and more wood, you name it, scattered all over. It is a little hard to step back anywhere. But it does double as the smoking lounge so the idea of sitting and chillin out there is a pretty good one.

This has been a fun build to watch it all come together, especially the decks, which I love. I would like to do this one in canvas some time, that would be super cool.

That is a nice looking canoe, the stem band looks like it fits pretty good, nice job there, and the decks have some beautiful detail, what a great idea to build the canoe that way.
You probably mentioned this back in the thread, but is that thwart in the center of the canoe? It looks like the seat is set back to a stock Chum bow seat location but pics can be deceiving.

Robin

I remember you saying the back edge of the front seat on your Chum was 24" from center. Rob put his seat about 10-12" back from center I think. I put mine 20" aft of center and the thwart is 21" forward of center to the outside edges. The thwart is curved forward and the space between seat edge and thwart center is 43". Even with a pack sideways in front of me I should have ample room for my stork legs. The plans call for 31.5" outside of planking to planking amidships and I have 31 5/8's.

Weight is 52 pounds and likely the 38" stem bands are 2 pounds of that. Of course, the remove-able yoke will add weight.

Rob

You already have a Jack's, why would you need two?

~~~

The concept I had at the start mostly came together. It was a good learning experience to do things new to me, figuring out how to make it all work. This could be my signature style for the future.

Well, one always needs more canoes. Too late for the deal anyway, I sold the Olympic for a 100 bucks. You know, that's a pretty sweet looking canoe, I think you could fetch an easy 3 g's for it. You keeping it?

Yea, planning to keep it, but ya never know if I will like it. Christy is my beneficiary, so you might have to fight her for it eventually.

Now I gotta figure out what to build next Winter.

Beautiful work. Painting the top edge of the cedar was a nice touch. Can't wait to see it on the water and hear how it performed.

Alan

Sure is a nice looking canoe and a fantastic thread. Thanks for the enlightenment, eye candy and fireplace reading material.

Yes well, haven't gotten there yet and it hasn't even been in the water either. My Father is going to send me all the supplies I need, the lettering quills, mask and striping tape, left over from the family business. I may ask him to send most of his brushes since I may paint a mural on the front of the shop. Biggest issue other than a constantly changing design is what colour for the striping. The cream hull and dark wood is a great combination, so I have to figure out what not to screw it up with, likely a dark burgundy or such to compliment both.

Presently we are gutting the kitchen for a cheap remodel so that is going to take all our time for the next month or so. Food prepared on an electric BBQ and the propane Coleman set up in the garage, ha ha.

No Title

The original design had the image amidships, but the hull is so shallow there it will likely wind up on the bow, with just striping running the length and down the stem lines to the waterline.

The art would face forward on both sides of the bow.

Attachments

• photo4698.jpg
    photo4698.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 0
Day Tripping Yah!

Finally got her wet. She's a keeper! Love the boat. I'm going to have to build another, with simpler decks for tripping with, likely get her under 50 pounds too.

Just up the road from the house is a series of lakes, East, West and North Shoal Lakes. Maybe 40 minutes to get to the water. They are shallow and hold huge yellow perch (2-3 pounders). The causeway we launched from spent 5 years underwater after the last big overland flood year of 2011. Only this year is it fully drive-able but a great access point for lakes mostly surrounded by private agricultural land. We were on West Shoal. Based upon how far I could see I think East and West are still combined due to water level, regardless, they are pretty big pieces of water.

The area we were in would be a birders dream. We saw Pelicans, numerous species of ducks, Cranes, Grey and Blue Herons, many different Terns and a pair of Bald Eagles, plus all the other birdies winging around. We tried fishing but had no success, but it didn't matter since we had 3 hours on the water. Christy was in her stripper that I built 5 Winters ago. It gives us an option for a close by paddle area and maybe the fishing will improve in the Autumn.

Check it out..niiiice boat. It was very stable feeling and paddles a lot better than mine. Mine is a modified prospector so it does nothing well. But I like it. The Jack's on the other hand is a thoroughbred and feels like it. I especially like her seat,it is super comfy. ( extra wide eh).

Great day on the water. Notice that I was actually wearing my life jacket.

Christy

The blue barrel was 3/4 full of water for ballast and it worked very well. Seat position was about perfect as well, just need a half inch more clearance on the front of it to slide my Pelican under.

Back