• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

First Time Major Repair

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am embarking on a big repair. I got my first canoe for free from a very kind couple who has stored it for years in their backyard. It has clearly been a home to some squirrels and chipmunks. It is not in the best shape, and I am seeking any advice you have. I've been a canoe trip leader for Girl Scouts for years and am used to aluminum Grumman boats. I have no idea the brand of this canoe, so if any of you know, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it!

I am a complete novice when it comes to canoe repair, but I am quite handy. I have repaired furniture and completed a variety of maintenance and building projects. Because I am a novice, I really would appreciate any advice -- both general and specific. I've attached some pictures with specific questions, but please feel free to add more advice.

1. I plan on removing the floatation foam on both ends for obvious reasons. Does it need to be replaced? And if I do replace it, what are some good brands and any advice on install?
IMG_2629.jpg

2. I have no experience with canoes with a pole system like this. The length along the bottom is no longer attached to the bottom. How should I go about replacing it or resecuring it? I'd also like to add a yoke for easy carrying. What advice do you have for making a custom yoke to either (a) cover the metal thwart or (b) replace the thwart with a yoke?
IMG_2627.jpg

3. I got it for free, so, of course, there had to be a hole...How should I go about patching this?
IMG_2631.jpg

4. I'm planning to paint it. What brands do you suggest?
IMG_2632.jpg

I plan to take my time with this repair and hope to learn some valuable skills along the way. I know it is in rough shape right now. I look forward to reading your advice and hopefully hitting the water before the end of the summer.

mjpaddles,
Unfortunately you have been gifted a Coleman canoe. Not one of the good canoes ever made. I would repair the holes in it and paint with a rattle can or Rustoleum marine enamel. Not really worth doing much else to it. When you find a better canoe, you can spend some more time on repairs. You could squirt some foam from a can and shape what is left and fiberglass over it.

Welcome. Your canoe is a Coleman. The material is polyethylene. They can be a challenge to repair as not much sticks to polyethylene. They can be patched, usually with plastic welding. You can find videos online.
I would not spend much money on this canoe. Fix it on the cheap and save for a better canoe.

Welcome to the site. To answer your questions in order:

1) If you remove the floatation, you should probably replace it (it is likely to float when swamped without it but why risk losing it). You could probably build a dam in the stems, use an expanding foam and then trim whatever gets past the dam. You might want to consider only removing the damaged foam and then tie-ing into it with the new foam (probably want some mechanical adhesion in that situation... maybe some screws screwed into the old foam but left out far enough for the new foam to grab around the threads as well as the head?).

Also, make sure you get closed cell foam. Open cell can absorb water, closed cell cannot.

2) Look carefully to see if the aluminum was ever actually adhered to the hull. It probably doesn't need to be but, if it was (as stated above) it'll be tough getting anything to stick the polyethylene and aluminum together. I'd almost bet that it was never actually attached.

3) I think your best bet would be using G-flex adhesive & a layer or two of e-glass over the damaged area. G-flex is supposed to stick to most plastics but I've never worked with it. Maybe someone else can chime in as to how it would work wetting out the e-glass cloth.

4) Rust-Oleum in a rattle can should be fine. It'll get scratched up when you use it no matter what you use so paint it cheap & paddle the crap out of it.

Best of luck & keep us updated as the learning progresses.

I'd also like to add a yoke for easy carrying. What advice do you have for making a custom yoke to either (a) cover the metal thwart or (b) replace the thwart with a yoke?
With my Coleman I just use the metal center thwart as a yoke if I'm feeling tough; if I'm not I cover it with a pool noodle.

Yes, I forgot the Yoke question...

I also use pool noodle on the aluminum center thwart of my Sawyer. I've found the a double layer where your shoulders touch and a 4-5 inch single layer for your neck makes it pretty comfortable. I've carried it (almost 60#) for over a mile and it wasn't bad.IMG_20210526_181526920_HDR.jpg

I'm not sure, but don't those things weigh in around 90 pounds? I don't believe the metal bar running along the keel was ever attached, I think the weight of people sitting in the seats provided enough downward force to keep the bar in place and stop the hull from oil canning. The rip in the bow may be problematic. Hard to tell from the pic, but almost looks like they used roofing tar to try and repair it. That would have to be cleaned up really well, and then attempt the repair with West System G-Flex
https://www.westsystem.com/products...G/flex is ideal for,and ABS canoes and kayaks.

Having said that, and I don't want to be that guy, but it's not a canoe I would fix. For the money you invest, you might actually be able to find an old fiberglass canoe that would be a much better investment.

I agree with memaquay about looking for another boat. I see in the Massachusetts area there are a few aluminum canoes for sale under $500 on craigslist. Some even under 300. Fiberglass canoes will occasionally show up in that price range too. Most would paddle better, and would allow you to spend time with the girl scouts rather than working.

The materials to patch, paint, and refill the foam are already at $100.

I wouldn't use a portage joke on this canoe. It's just too heavy. I've carried canoes this heavy before and avoid it because of risk of injury. The placement of the center brace might make it impractical anyway.

A trip report might make an interesting communications project for one of the kids, and we'd love to hear about it.

Back