• Happy National American Red Cross Founder's Day (1881)! 🇨🇭🚑🏥

Canoetripping Woodworkers: Post your scrap wood projects

Thanks for the photos, Jim. I was thinking of using some bits to make some clamps. Your C clamp and stretcher bar system gives my an idea to work with.

Drill jig from more scrap.

IMG_1367_zpslfqrqq3d.jpg

Jim

After making a my first real paddle out of western red cedar a few weeks back, I ended up making a paddle out of white cedar for a friend who is building a half scale birch bark canoe. After that, I saw all the scraps laying on the floor and, well, got a little carried away. I'm not sure what I'll do with these, maybe just put them under the christmas tree for decoration. It was fun coming up with designs and color patterns. Mark

paddles.JPG

After making a my first real paddle out of western red cedar a few weeks back, I ended up making a paddle out of white cedar for a friend who is building a half scale birch bark canoe. After that, I saw all the scraps laying on the floor and, well, got a little carried away. I'm not sure what I'll do with these, maybe just put them under the christmas tree for decoration. It was fun coming up with designs and color patterns. Mark

SWEET!! these look great!
Murat V Will love those, like me he loves decorated paddles!! I really like the right one!

Those are sweet looking paddles. Well done Mark! I gave out a bunch of mini paddles as gifts to friends and their kids just ended up hitting each other with them. You were smart to make them out of cedar. I had used hard maple...oops.

Those are sweet looking paddles. Well done Mark! I gave out a bunch of mini paddles as gifts to friends and their kids just ended up hitting each other with them. You were smart to make them out of cedar. I had used hard maple...oops.

Thanks Murat, that cross idea was from some of those old pictures on your website. I think the ones in the historic paintings were more red or orange though. By the way, I have very much enjoyed your website. I've spent a fair amount of time there, but I think I've only looked at 10 percent of what you have. Keep up the good work. Mark

I took my leftover Ash and made some Edge Breakers. There are 4 shapes with heavy 36 grit paper tacked to them.

From a few years ago.
This was what was left of my faithful 17 ft stripper after getting pinned in a rapid on Round Lake Stream.
Each hull section (complete with gunnels) held a photo unique to each member of that ill fated trip, given as a Christmas gift.
Several of the guys say this has become one of their most valued possessions...

View attachment 38q5u0SIab-EYblnNVf2TukIplJf8XOdjzrWWy56N3Z-KQL56ceSdY4jmOX5j6r8MnPsG7UnNRWqjOe2m7U1a2DQnmwBoEkYjGs2

View attachment BKVH025SkYIw1m2tkYZJYEqCGxXFwfGJCx-69AiYg2jxD1Kix9LLzexZwyM_yGZvzONCfrLULLVQ5nAPINaychcVZ65yvposwzo_

Murat: I hope you don't mind but I stole your idea. I've got a 4 year old buddy who will be down for Christmas who likes to go on adventures in the backyard. So I made him an adventure kit. Fun little project.

Adventure Kit by Alan, on Flickr

20161221_003 by Alan, on Flickr

20161221_002 by Alan, on Flickr

20161221_005 by Alan, on Flickr

20161221_006 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

Beautiful job Alan! Really like how you made the teeth on the bucksaw blade. Happy adventures to your 4 yr old buddy!

From a few years ago.
This was what was left of my faithful 17 ft stripper after getting pinned in a rapid on Round Lake Stream.
Each hull section (complete with gunnels) held a photo unique to each member of that ill fated trip, given as a Christmas gift.
Several of the guys say this has become one of their most valued possessions...

I just received some pics in the mail, that need framing. Another project ! These should be perfect !
Thanks for the idea !
Jim

Wow, I'm always in awe at everyone's wood working skills. Cool projects everyone. I worked some extra ash I had around into a couple lamps, but the woodworking was minimal, couple holes, some sanding, and some oil. The lamp with the copper tubing uses two magnets to hover the light bulb.

20160327_123022.jpg

20160406_174645.jpg

Oh, also, not wood scraps, but boat scraps, I made a skin on frame coffee table with some extra polyester fabric and artificial sinew. It weighs 6 lbs. Working on a carbon fiber dining room table right now that will weigh less than 20 lbs.

20160919_155242.jpg

Incredible stuff everyone! Muskrat, that bottle lamp is awesome! I imagine making one with an old map.

Last edited:
Incredible stuff everyone! Muskrat, that bottle lamp is awesome! I imagine making one with an old map.

Give it a try. An old map would be great. A co-worker of mine has awesome handwriting so I had her transcribe a passage from a William Hope Hodgson short story about a marooned ship. It took two bottles to get a clean cut around the bottom so I could put in the lamp fittings. You can see the seam though the big hose clamp.

I broke the first bottle, "Well, I guess I have to drink another bottle of scotch. Pity."

Edit: If you do make one be sure to use an led bulb (they make one's that look like Edison's now) so it doesn't get too hot in the resealed bottle.

Last edited:
Back