• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Box store Cedar paddle

Reaction score
Nothing special here; im experimenting and will show you what i learn. After rooting thru the Cedar at H. Depot i bought a couple clean 1x6’s which had good faces (on one side). Epoxy was applied to both faces and a single piece of lite glass tape was laid down between them before combining the halves and piling on some weight.
After jig sawing the paddle went to the milling machine and lost some weight. Right now im hand (power) planing before moving to a belt sander and hand tools. I’m quite happy with the weight so far, knowing that will come down more yet. I’m patterning this after a Sassafras otter tail.

Attachments

• IMG_2006.jpeg
    IMG_2006.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2007.jpeg
    IMG_2007.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 32
They look real good, Alasgun. If you like making paddles as a hobby, maybe you could make some wood and carbon paddles for that local retailer you bought your canoe from, and make a few bucks too.

I make all manner of things @Glenn MacGrady, as a hobby. Along with this paddle i’ve got 4 carbon fiber fly rod tubes being worked with the paddle. For me it’s just busy work and i don’t care for making multiples of anything. Rod tubes are fine due to the simplicity.

This has been a “good winter” in terms of projects completed but as soon as this group is done it will be time to set up the grow room for the beginnings or Garden starts, after which my focus changes.

I'm not jealous at all about all your very nice tools, lol. I'm always looking to make life easier with the right tools for paddle making. The latest one I used was a big spindle sanding machine recently acquired by the school woodshop. Once I power plane the blade down past clunky, I put a really big spindle on and alternate sides until the desired thickness is reached. It's pretty quick, but still labour intensive. A milling machine looks like a real sweat saver.

It is and like you; im all about easy. I tell people, “im the laziest person you know” which isn’t entirely true?
Over the years my projects have gone many directions and most take a stroll thru either the Lathe or Mill.

I forget which famous Indian said “when the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice because we are hunters” im of that ilk and when im too old for anything else i will “machine” toothpick’s, because im a Machinist!😏

Back