• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

20 foot freighter canoe

No worries. I am the guy who won't be getting a baloney cake. The mean stare I got from my wife when I asked told me so. Even after she said "I remember baloney sandwiches, I loved them as a kid." Oh well. I couldn't handle all that cheese anyway.

Looking forward to seeing the strips go on. And seeing that steamer in action.

Baloney cake. YOU are a effing God!!!! Has Stompin Tom written a folk song yet? It is a shame Gord passed before we could get this one on the air. I would show this to the troops at work but the sight of grown men trembling with desire makes me a little queasy. And nervous.

Is this one of Irene's family recipes? It intrigues me as this has NFLD/Manitohoyan written all over it. Ughhhhhh now I am jonesing for a toasted fried bologna sandwich. b*st*rds.

Christy

Those steam bent stems don't look like the plans? Have you made changes or did something go wrong in the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Steamer?

Everything according to the book so far, or the "good enuff" book. What makes you think they look strange? Oh ya, I see, maybe you were thinking I was gonna make the pretty round ones...ha ha hah hahhah, just wait and see, this will be the Merrimack of strippers!

Last edited:
Everything according to the book so far, or the "good enuff" book. What makes you think they look strange? Oh ya, I see, maybe you were thinking I was gonna make the pretty round ones...ha ha hah hahhah, just wait and see, this will be the Merrimack of strippers!

Whoa, the Merrimack of strippers! I take that as a compliment and am looking forward to your build. This has me looking long and hard at the 24' stations I picked up off of Jim Dodd a couple of years ago.......

Whoa, the Merrimack of strippers! I take that as a compliment and am looking forward to your build. This has me looking long and hard at the 24' stations I picked up off of Jim Dodd a couple of years ago.......

You Build it ! I'll come up, and help you Paddle it !!! Or if you square the stern, I'll take the bow seat (you might need my Ballast) !

I was thinking of you when Mem started this thread ! It would be fun to see that go together !

Jim

Last edited:
You Build it ! I'll come up, and help you Paddle it !!! Or if you square the stern, I'll take the bow seat (you might need my Ballast) !

I was thinking of you when Mem started this thread ! It would be fun to see that go together !

Jim

Jim,

No square stern here. My dream is to do source to sea on the Mississippi and offer people the chance to join in for a few days to a couple of weeks.

Also, may be able to build with recycled cedar decking.

Jim,

No square stern here. My dream is to do source to sea on the Mississippi and offer people the chance to join in for a few days to a couple of weeks.

Also, may be able to build with recycled cedar decking.

That's a great idea ! Especially if YOU man the Stern seat ! I used to Stern Dragon Boats ! No better place in the boat ! ;)

I've known a few people that have made that trip ! Going as a group makes perfect sense !

The nice thing is you shouldn't need to portage !

Jim

The nice thing is you shouldn't need to portage !

Jim

Ah, but there are a half dozen portages before you get to Minneapolis and the first lock. Right off the bat there are culverts, then a few short dams, then Grand Rapids where you either call for a ride around the dam from a campground upstream a few miles, or a 1/2 to 3/4 mile portage through town. There is also an area downstream from a dam that has notoriously low water. No portage, but walking your boat and picking your way through the pools may be required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So Jim - would you build one this big stemless?

Absolutely !! If you had any concerns about the strength, add a few extra cloth layers on the inside.

Building stems inner and outer, plus the extra fitting is a waste of time and material !

I believe Northwest Canoe still has videos up on the net (Silent Movie) of their building of the Voyager canoes.

I would heavily reinforce the stems in the skid plate area. And Yes, Kevlar would be my choice, maybe add a little Graphite to the epoxy ?

You are getting me excited ! I may have to make a road trip if you get this started !

I believe Dennis Davidson would have a wealth of practical information !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK2W073pqHw

Jim

Last edited:
riginally posted by BWCA66
So Jim - would you build one this big stemless?

Ha ha, look at this guy, stirring the pot. It's good to use whichever method you prefer, but in defence of stems....... When done well, I believe the aesthetics of an external stem is superior to a stemless build. Especially because it gives you a nice spot to fasten on your brass stem band. It's kind of like the good old hamburger. Stemless reminds me of the poverty days, when I ate my hamburger between two slices of white bread. Using internal and external stems is like a restaurant burger, with all the trimmings, even the pickles. I've built both ways, and I would never refuse any kind of hamburger, but I've developed a liking for buns.

QG5aX2c.jpg

Ha ha, look at this guy, stirring the pot. It's good to use whichever method you prefer, but in defence of stems....... I've developed a liking for buns.

QG5aX2c.jpg

Ha ha, an artful analogy consisting of food and canoes. You're a true gourmet in both. :)
I love the brass too. Gotta have all dressed.

Last edited:
To each his own ! To me brass stem bands don't cut it on a glassed stripper. They were made to protect the canvas seams on the ends of Wood Canvas canoes.

As for burgers in buns ? The Buns just keep your fingers from getting greasy ! I'd rather eat a STEAK on a fork any day ! :p

Scan0003_zps311808a2.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	Scan0003_zps311808a2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	208.2 KB ID:	87346
Sorry ! I'm on a roll !

Scan0005_zps7af77fdb.jpg
Jim

Last edited:
You'd be surprised at the damage those brass stem bands prevent! The first solo canoe I built, back in the 90's was an Osprey. After several thousands of miles of hard core tripping, the only area that wasn't damaged was the area around the brass.

Plus it looks pretty, which seems to be a common theme in regards to my latest build.

You'd be surprised at the damage those brass stem bands prevent! The first solo canoe I built, back in the 90's was an Osprey. After several thousands of miles of hard core tripping, the only area that wasn't damaged was the area around the brass.

Plus it looks pretty, which seems to be a common theme in regards to my latest build.

Sorry for diverting your thread, looking forward to seeing your build.

I've never done any brass stems but I sure like the looks of 'em.

I like a nice thick rare buffalo burger, oblong shaped, folded in a large soft tortilla. I can put all kinds o' goodies on that burger and keep it captured in the wrap. (I hate dirty fingers)

Gentlemen, thread diversion is what keeps this place interesting! Spirited debate about stems vs no stems is a refreshing change compared to the usual internet debates, where someone usually gets called a Nazi in the first five posts. I remember when that weird axe guy Heinki called me fat, but he was only speaking the truth. So far, I haven't had anyone call me a "Stem Nazi", in fact we have only had to look at Jim's fleet of canoes, which is far from punishment.

My back went out two days ago, so work has been halted, but I might grab a couple of kids today and instruct them on the fine art of mounting forms on the strongback, from the comfort of my big leather chair, lol.

Back