• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

20 foot freighter canoe

I'd be very happy to have the form cutting and sanding behind me on this one. Now for the fun part!

Oh wait, you probably still have to rip strips and cut the bead and cove. So no fun for a while longer I guess

Alan

We have ripped a few strips and put a bead and cove on them. They are quite daunting, to say the least. Combined with the overlapped 10 ounce cloth, this thing should be bomb proof.

So progress is continuing...steamed the stems in the steamer of death.
1UE7sN6.jpg

Then Clamped them
ZkzUpaa.jpg

Then glued them (hey, if you have lots of clamps, use them)
miFI1Js.jpg

Been held up because I have a chestnut Pal on the strongback that has to come off. Put the last fill coat on tonight, should be pulling it off tomorrow to let the kids finish.
6jTiXC2.jpg

And just in case you aren't facebook friends with me, here's a picture of my birthday cake, made out of bolognie. It tasted just as good as it looked.
vKz1hsN.jpg

Hope to get the forms set up next week.

That bologna cake deserves its own post. Preferably on another forum so I don't have to see it.

Alan

For someone from hog country, you got a mighty poor opinion of meat byproducts. I'm starting to think you're hog-o-phobic. I love pigs, in all forms, even cake. I'm byproduct-fluid, sometimes I even dress up in my sow costume while canoeing with a cooler full of....spam. I'm a trend setter in the species-neutral canoe clubs of Canada where a pig is a pig or at least a part of a pig.

Mem, I really like your steamer set up. I actually have enough parts here to build one! I enjoyed all the pics up until the cake. I like pork and even a fried bologna sandwich but a cake? I dunno, I might have bad dreams after seeing that!

dougd

James Watt himself would be proud of that steam contraption. Sure you didn't swipe it off an old engine? Might it have been named the Titfield Thunderbolt?
In any case it looks like you're having fun. Carry on and keep us informed.

ps A multilayered bologna cream cheese cake with stuffed olives and Cheez Whiz icing. What's not to like!? I only wished I had thought of that.
Happy belated Birthday.

Last edited:
Someone has taken a lowly poor man's meal to such lofty heights in honour of your birthday. Congrats!
A simple baloney with mustard sandwich was my favourite lunchtime staple when I was a kid. There still are days when I crave one.
https://www.eater.com/2016/12/2/1379...recipe-history
I have fond memories of my mom frying baloney in a skillet for us hungry boys, and tho' she has passed I sometimes indulge in a hot fried baloney sandwich with a cold glass of milk on the side. Good eats from good times, but I'm the only tube steak eater around here so it's a rare thing there's any in the fridge. After seeing your decadent "cake" I may have to up my game.
http://wildflourskitchen.com/2018/02...ndwich-cheese/

Last edited:
I dunno Brad, that bacon/bolognie sandwich looks like a working man's meal taken to the uptown grey poupon kinda folks. Kinda like lipstick on a pig, so to speak. White bread, mustard and if really decadent, Kraft cheese single slice, that's how the real people eat their mystery meat.

I dunno Brad, that bacon/bolognie sandwich looks like a working man's meal taken to the uptown grey poupon kinda folks. Kinda like lipstick on a pig, so to speak. White bread, mustard and if really decadent, Kraft cheese single slice, that's how the real people eat their mystery meat.

Says the guy with the baloney cake.

But yeah, you have a point. There's "kissing your sister" and then there's "taking her on a round the world cruise" so to speak. But enough of weird analogies.
The neighbourhood my son lives in is mourning the loss of a beloved restaurant. What started as a food truck soon grew into full on bricks and mortar. All because people couldn't get enough of the plain Jane toasted cheese sandwich. After another in a long string of house DIY projects my son took me out to eat, it was only a 3 block walk. From all the urban hip places I chose the grilled cheese place. It was okay. I mean, how can you ruin a simple sandwich? But for 4 bucks I could've made a whole plate of them back in my son's kitchen. But that is not the point really. We can all DIY our favourite sandwiches, but having a hipster pop up business take what we've all loved, grown up with and now taken for granted, reintroduce this to a whole new generation should be given it's due. "Craft sandwiches"? Maybe not, but I wish the grilled cheese guy well with whatever endeavours he moves on to. I wonder what he thinks of baloney sandwiches?

I wonder what comes next in the freighter canoe project? Are all the strips cut?

Last edited:
For someone from hog country, you got a mighty poor opinion of meat byproducts.

Well we're always accepting new residents if you'd ever like to move to the sunny south. In its plan to retake the hog market Iowa has lifted nearly all regulations to entice confinements to move here and it's working! Simply astounding the number of confinements going up. We also have a rendering plant called Central Bi-products that moved in just south of town to process all the accidentally dead pigs from these multitude of confinements. It wafts such a lovely aroma over our town all summer long on those lazy southern breezes.

Alan

Well we're always accepting new residents if you'd ever like to move to the sunny south. In its plan to retake the hog market Iowa has lifted nearly all regulations to entice confinements to move here and it's working! Simply astounding the number of confinements going up. We also have a rendering plant called Central Bi-products that moved in just south of town to process all the accidentally dead pigs from these multitude of confinements. It wafts such a lovely aroma over our town all summer long on those lazy southern breezes.

Alan

Amen !

Alan

and then we wonder why our planet is in such a bad condition... People are just not ready or don't want to make any concession/action/compromise to save it. " you have a choice to keep your comfort or save the planet.... heck with the planet"......

Wonder if I pack it in dry ice, if a balonie cake would make it to Alan's house? Ha ha, that would be cruel I guess. But I might come to Iowa, I could retire this June if I got another job. They need any Canadian Herdsman down there? Gotta say though, when I worked on the pig farm, although we were an intensive farm, we treated our piggies pretty well.

I'll probably pay some kind of huge kharmic debt for sending thousands of porkers to their final squeal.

Maybe I'll get a pet pig to make up for it. He can ride in the new freighter, I'll put a patch over one of his eyes and call him "Patchy the Pig". He could find truffles for me, chase away wild animals, and snuggle up to me on cold nights....cause if I actually get Patchy, I'll be single again.

But enough of the pork debates! Hopefully I'll start prepping the strongback tomorrow! I'm squeally, squeally excited about that!

Wonder if I pack it in dry ice, if a balonie cake would make it to Alan's house? Ha ha, that would be cruel I guess. But I might come to Iowa, I could retire this June if I got another job. They need any Canadian Herdsman down there?

Maybe we can swap houses and I'll ship out to Geraldton. A new adventure for everyone!

Hopefully I'll start prepping the strongback tomorrow! I'm squeally, squeally excited about that!

I can tell you're going to be happier than a pig in crap working on this boat.

Have you picked out your wood species and strip thickness yet?

Alan

Mem you and your 20 footer are always welcome here. I have a dock.. But don't forget to bring the balonie cake! the ferry to Newfoundland ( the mother country of balonie) is but eight hours away.

Last edited:
I know someone who's not getting a baloney cake for his birthday. (Better make that 2 pork haters. lol)

I don't mind pork at all.... I rather eat moose but bacon is good.... That said my comment was more towards Alan's comment regarding his states doing everything to get more business even if that means not giving a crap about the rest!!

Back