• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Your next canoe trip?

I'll likely be heading up to Temagami for a season opener in early May, probably solo. I'm planning on picking up the Eureka Parawing VCS13 Tarp with the optional bug mesh. All you need is 3 or 4 warm, sunny days at that time of year & the blackflies are out. After a cool weather start, I got caught toward the end of my May trip last year, making cooking or any outdoor activity a challenge.

I've been dreaming about a return trip to Killarney PP....crystal clear water and those white quartzite rock faces! Spent two nights there and only scratched the surface of what's there. Glad the beaver that slipped off the rock didn't land in the boat. Also want to hit more ADK trips on my checklist including Oswegatchie deep into Five Ponds.

Jan 27-28 we will be paddling in Cedar Key area.
On Jan 30 we will do a day trip on Halfway Creek in the Everglades. Then eight days and overnight in the Everglades backcountry.
Feb 9 Rainbow River and Feb 10 the Itchetucknee Springs.

Anyone in area that wants to join, welcome!

I don’t know where, or where first, but I’ve started packing.

Southbound at any rate. It's only January and I'm already tired of winter.

Thats minus ten F. There is a gremlin. sometimes I can't post ( the box is non responsive. ) And now I can't edit.

Our trip planning is always iffie. That's just the way it is. We "roll with it." When things work out, we "rock and roll with it." Maybe we'll get to Temagami in May for a fishing base camp kinda thing. Just 3-4 days would be nice. Longer could be nicer too. That screened tarp that Canoeguitar is considering looks nice. Pinemartin posted a gear review, which I've been thinking/procrastinating over ever since. I hope we'll be rock and rolling with it late next spring.

Not exactly sure where the exact location of my next trip will be. I do know that it will be in the Greenstone area of northwestern Ontario. I am currently working on planning with maps of the area that I have begun to compile.

Not exactly sure where the exact location of my next trip will be. I do know that it will be in the Greenstone area of northwestern Ontario. I am currently working on planning with maps of the area that I have begun to compile.
Where's Memaquay? He is the resident Greenstoner.. Greenstoned...uh.. he has lots of experience in the area.

I'm in Collier Seminole now. Might see McCrea and co on the water in ENP

Or not. I think I missed meeting Kim and Jim by one day in Collier-Seminole and didn’t see a lot of people in the Everglades or Ten Thousand Islands Aquatic Preserve.

I did get to meet Naked Max on Lulu Key.

Or not. I think I missed meeting Kim and Jim by one day in Collier-Seminole and didn’t see a lot of people in the Everglades or Ten Thousand Islands Aquatic Preserve.

I did get to meet Naked Max on Lulu Key.

LOL..We paddled back through West Pass with Naked Max..what a character. It was one of those foggy mornings..for once it temporarily wasn't warm. Poor Max..having no clothes he was forced to wear his PFD (horsecollar type). He has a great overall tan. He has a gorgeous strip built kayak too.
The first time we saw him he was over on Tiger and we were on Picnic.. Hubby thought it was a girl from a distance and I kept catching him sneaking a peek. When he got closer the laugh was on him!

We fixed the ripped out rudder mount. Now we have a selection of short rivets and yet ANOTHER drill. Thank goodness Tractor Supply was not far away. Joel graciously saved us some money as he lent us his rivet gun.

So sorry to have missed you Mike by one day. CSP however was rapidly turning into a swimming pool though. We worked on the boat in the eating pavilion; inside. Electrocution from doing repairs outside seemed unwise.

Kim

LOL..We paddled back through West Pass with Naked Max..what a character. It was one of those foggy mornings..for once it temporarily wasn't warm. Poor Max..having no clothes he was forced to wear his PFD (horsecollar type).

And his DIY palm frond coolie hat.

He has a great overall tan.

Yeah, there were parts of him that were as brown as any bald white man has ever dangled.

We fixed the ripped out rudder mount. Now we have a selection of short rivets and yet ANOTHER drill. Thank goodness Tractor Supply was not far away. Joel graciously saved us some money as he lent us his rivet gun.

Trust Joel to travel with a pop rivet gun. I guarantee he had a swedging tool along as well. I should add a pop rivet tool and rivets to the truck kit. I’d like to find (or decant) G\flex in containers smaller than the 118 ml bottles. A little dab will do ya, and it sticks to dang near everything for small repairs.

Backing up with three feet of Monarch overhanging the truck bed always concerns me. Especially with the Kruger style rudder sticking out another foot behind the hull. Some of the Collier Seminole sites are pretty tree squinchy.

I worry about that overhang/rudder as much is parking lots as anywhere. Even though the rudder is striped and reflective taped for high visibility I use pull through spaces or back in so the rudder doesn’t get clipped by a passing vehicle or pedestrian noggin.

So sorry to have missed you Mike by one day. CSP however was rapidly turning into a swimming pool though.

I was thoroughly pleased to be bedded down high and dry for the night on the foam pad under the truck cap that rainy night at Collier Seminole.

So pleased that I slept for close to 12 hours. I had spent the previous couple of days with some late night friends in Micanopy and needed to catch up on my beauty rest.

Personal circumstances will keep me close to home for the foreseeable future, but I'll try for a simple three day trip on the tidal Connecticut River from Hartford down to Long Island Sound, and maybe an occasional overnight local.

Back