• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Wood and canvas on Va. Craigslist

I posted this same ad 14 months ago along with a link to the history of Templeton canoes.

lowangle al,
I am in the middle of a repair on an OT Guide 18. I am discouraged about repairing the inwales.
It has become a daunting task.

Good luck with the repair PP. Post some pictures and maybe someone can give some advice.

Mine is in need of a restoration as it's leaking at one stem and the keel and a split recently opened in the canvas at the chine. The stem and keel leaks were stopped with liquid flex seal and one strip of duct tape stopped the split from leaking.

Putting the flex seal and then the tape on the boat was really liberating as I am no longer concerned about damaging the "skin". My only concern now is not breaking any planks or ribs. I'm going to ride it out as long as I can before recanvasing and use this boat for tripping.

When I do get it restored I don't think I'll put the keel back on and I may also shellack the bottom.

I posted this same ad 14 months ago along with a link to the history of Templeton canoes.

Glenn, and others, do you think this ad is a scam? Seems odd to me that it was apparently previously listed 14 months ago for $1500, now $2200 reduced to $1200. I don't know how one would confirm validity of the ad.

It's a very nice canoe for that price if a truly valid offering (assuming one needs a 20' canoe)! It's about a 5 hour drive for me on familiar territory- my daughter attended college south of there in Radford, VA. If someone here is interested I would consider assisting in picking it up and bringing to southeast PA.

It's a very nice canoe for that price if a truly valid offering (assuming one needs a 20' canoe)! It's about a 5 hour drive for me on familiar territory- my daughter attended college south of there in Radford, VA. If someone here is interested I would consider assisting in picking it up and bringing to southeast PA.

Freudian symptoms of addictive projection alert! Someone please notify Patrick's banker and wooden canoe 12-step program to get ready for an intervention.

In truth, a 20' Templeton is a true Maine historical classic and maybe someone who shows up with $1,000 cash could own one. If one had indoor storage space. Worst case, it's a nice drive for a clear winter day in our Covid gulag. Maybe sell it at WCHA.

Lowangle al,
Taking off the keel is a great idea.
So is shellac at the water line. Keep it trad.
I was confused until I talked with Jerry Stelmok. I need to scarf in 8 foot sections of white ash on both inwales without wrecking the shape of the boat. I have the ribs shaped and planks for the rest of the repairs. Then canvas.
I need a carpenter for the inwales with a table saw.

My recent w/c acquisitions notwithstanding... this isn't a hull for me. Note that I volunteered to 'assist'! I'd love to see someone from our forum acquire this canoe, and I would like to see this bit of history in person, but not acquire it myself. I'm a solo kind of guy and something tells me this canoe would be a bit much for me alone! Now if only it were 14' or 15', then it would be a candidate for my growing collection.

Back