• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Winter 2017: A 5-day solo trip with plans to return

Reaction score
I head off to the Adirondack Park Siamese Ponds Wilderness on a solo winter camping trip using my custom made Snoskishoes to haul my 9' toboggan loaded with gear. I set up base camp, collect my stashed, cut, split, and seasoned maple hardwood, eat well, enjoy my evenings, do some ice fishing, and bushwhack cross country skiing. After spending 5 days I leave my tent and stove set up and supplied with firewood for my return visit later this winter.

https://youtu.be/3U8VBj7R4fU

hqdefault.jpg

Nice couple of vids, Thanks for sharing, I think I have to start putting together some winter gear.

Kelly - Thanks for the videos. You look a bit like a woodland monk with your wool hood and graying beard. You fit right into the winter woods.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Snapper, I've had a few prior lives and many divergent occupations over the years one included a decade as a baptist minister...I like the Woodland Monk title much better.

I think that's a great idea Bioguide and something I've thought about doing. The things that worry me are: having heavy snow damage the tent and to a lesser extent having someone steel it.

I like that saw that was in the trailer video, what was it?

I think that's a great idea Bioguide and something I've thought about doing. The things that worry me are: having heavy snow damage the tent and to a lesser extent having someone steel it.

I like that saw that was in the trailer video, what was it?

Lowangle, I have the same worries but feel the benefits outweigh the risks... it sure made packing and hauling out easier and now I have an excuse to have to go back in a couple of weeks.

The saw in the trailer is a refurbished and professionally sharpened 5' crosscut saw made by Disston. I have a 3' version of the same as well. I really enjoy cutting with both of them.

Looks like a great time. Reminded me a bit of the Grinch trying to haul his sled up Mt. Crumpet when you were slipping up the hill pulling the 9' beast!

Snapper, I've had a few prior lives and many divergent occupations over the years one included a decade as a baptist minister...I like the Woodland Monk title much better.

Thanks for sharing the video, Bioguide. Interesting info about your background ... I was a Methodist clergyman for close to that long, myself.

Very cool!
How those custom made snoshoeskis working out for you? Those are the ones you just recently made, correct?
Share some of your menu ideas too, if you don't mind...

Really enjoyed you taking me along.
My winter camping here in Louisiana definately does not involve those kinds of logistics. Spent many weeks downhill skiing in the west, and enjoyed the snow, but never camped in it.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Flyingbison I think we would end up having an interesting chat if we ever camped together...

TheIndian, yes they are the skis I had custom made this past summer. Some menu ideas...check out:
http://www.wintertrekking.com/commun...38027#msg38027

Now: After 3 weeks I head back to retrieve my tent. While away a winter snow storm hit the area dumping 12+ inches of powder followed by wind gusts of up to 50 mph. I document the Snowtrekker’s sacked in condition and my digging of it out. I also video my Adirondack Snoskishoe’s performance in moderate powder snow conditions while hauling the sled on the lake, bushwhacking across the forested rolling terrain, and some "downhill" skiing. In addition, I use an auger to collect water, enjoy camp meals, and listen to a new audible book during the evenings while warming by the fire.

https://youtu.be/A7d6ycfEgx4

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Those action shots where fun your snow ski shoes look like they really work well. Those Snowtrekker tents can really take a load of snow.

LOL that look like a fantastic trip! Glad your tent and stove still intact.

Is there anyone interested in buying a pair of these custom made skis?

I've had discussions with the builder and he would be interested in building 5 -7 pairs for next year with some modifications/improvements namely:

an increase in the tip rise
perhaps a narrower footprint
lighter core material, fiberglass, and veneer to cut back on the skis weight

Cost ~$575/pair

If you are seriously interested in ordering a pair PM me...

Kelly - Glad to see your tent survived the extra snow load. Must give good peace of mind in case you're ever out in a major storm. As long as you have an ample wood supply, you should be able to come through without any issues.

Curious about your ski/snowshoes...looks like you were able to truly give them a workout. My question is in regard to when you left the site and headed downhill to the lake. Did you let your toboggan just go and let the track lead it, skiing down after it? I'm thinking that to try and ski while pulling to toboggan down that slope would be a bit tricky. Just wondering how you negotiated it all.

That's it for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Another great video, thanks Bioguide. I like those skishoes. Makes for easy gliding to cover ground on the flats, and way funner heading down to the lake. I used to make 1-way trails when I used to bushwhack my own for winter wandering. Any uphill trails would climb following the contours more, reducing the back-slipping/sliding as I climbed. Downhill sections were, well, just like yours. Yippeee straighter. So all my winter ski trails had loops on all the wooded slopes.
I also like the idea of a camp up in amongst the Hemlock, near an open creek for water. Planning for next year eh?

Back