• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Whitewater Bent Shaft

Bent shafts are just about impossibly angled for cross draws and draws.. Two very important river strokes.. The bent pushes water down and boat up rather than pull boat to paddle compared with a straight.. On mild moving water this is no issue but when you have a must make move a straight will save your butt better.

I prefer a straight shaft for whitewater but if I have a bent shaft in my hand that's OK too. For draws, I just use it "backwards" and can do a monster pull on it. I'm always in a big boat full of gear so the extra moments it takes to turn the paddle in my hands is usually not the main issue.

Can you use a high dollar, feather weight, bent shaft paddle for whitewater?
Sure you can...............you could also use a piece of 2" x 4" if you wanted too.
I'm not sure I understand what the benefits in using a bent shaft paddle or a piece of 2" x 4" on whitewater would be.
I personally wouldn't even consider it; especially on whitewater rivers with lots of boulder gardens. I think they'd be less efficient than straight shafts.

Also I'm too cheap? NO way in heck am I ever going to spend 250 to 425 bucks on ANY paddle.
Unless I find one that was made by "vestal virgins"!
Even if I found one that "vestal virgins" made; it would likely become a "wall hanger".
I'd be willing to venture a guess that the vast majority of "real" whitewater canoe paddlers leave any bent shaft they own at home. .

I personally used Werner and Aqua Bound paddles for whitewater. Occasionally I carried as a spare, or used an old, wooden, t-gripped Sawyer. Worked fine for me.
But, I'm no pro, and all stated is personal opinion.

Joker

Attachments

• photo11201.jpg
    photo11201.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo11202.jpg
    photo11202.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 1
Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	176.8 KB ID:	91365 A few, wooden, straight shaft, alternatives; by Sawyer, Grey Owl, and Dagger,
One bent shaft by Bending Branches is pictured; just because it was hanging on the rack when I took the photo.

The two Lutras have never touched a drop of whitewater, and ain't gonna.................

Joker

Attachments

• photo9267.jpg
    photo9267.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 1
  • photo11223.jpg
    photo11223.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 1
  • photo11224.jpg
    photo11224.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo11225.jpg