• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Which trip report format do you prefer?

Which trip report format do you prefer?

• Total voters
Hard to make the choice between text and vid. Videos can feel like a virtual experience; sometimes even an art film project, and can be very appealing. Text (with photos) trip logs feel more like reading a tripper's diary, which is a different experience, and can also be quite engaging.
But if I had to decide I'd go with text over vid.

I have to go with text and pics because I'm too deaf to understand the video dialogue, if there is any. This is a sore point for many deaf people, although YouTube has a sorta kinda captioning capability.

I voted text with pictures because - and this may upset the videographers - I find the medium is simply a better fit for tripping. I enjoy watching a well-produced video, but I think of what went into that production: the equipment hauling; scene set-up; battery management; monologuing to a yet-to-be-present audience...and the better the production, the more I think about these things. At that point, it seems that the canoe trip is merely an outlet for the videographer's creativity, i.e., not the primary raison d'être. Sitting down with a snifter of brown juice and jotting down some thoughts seems more apropos and as such, I find text more relatable. Again, I feel I must reiterate my hypocritical stance: I like watching well-produced videos and appreciate the efforts.

Text with photos, for many of the reasons mentioned above.

While I appreciate a well executed and edited video I am a reader, and the written word can be more evocative of the place and time than video alone. There are applications in which video is far superior, illustrating stroke technique for example.

I write every day while in camp; not just field notes but thoughts and feelings, pleasures and forebodings. I find the written word easier to capture those emotions.

Back