• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Which of 4 boats? So far...

WPSCA event does look very appealing - many references to it throughout posts on various sites...good points about markets, again, the challenge of time and other commitments, a lovely trip to make that time of year but not a quick trip from the Ottawa area.

Osprey price went up $100 last week! Does seem to be a very viable boat for what I am looking to do but too expensive in my opinion and others here...Haven't reached out yet, MR Discovery Solo just posted for $850, at that price could afford to wait a little longer for a different boat to come along and work on paddling a straight line, avoiding portages and playing in some rocky waters in the meantime.

WPSCA event does look very appealing - many references to it throughout posts on various sites...good points about markets, again, the challenge of time and other commitments, a lovely trip to make that time of year but not a quick trip from the Ottawa area.

Osprey price went up $100 last week! Does seem to be a very viable boat for what I am looking to do but too expensive in my opinion and others here...Haven't reached out yet, MR Discovery Solo just posted for $850, at that price could afford to wait a little longer for a different boat to come along and work on paddling a straight line, avoiding portages and playing in some rocky waters in the meantime.

I saw that Mad River pop up yesterday in Brockville (I have relatives in Ogdensburg), good price ($640 USD). You could get that as a play boat and hold out for a tripper later! It's a rare solo canoeist that has only one boat!

Last edited:
More than one boat ... I am in dangerous company on this site, a crowd full of enablers ... above offer of a Prism - my sense is that a boat like that and H2O 16/6 more for hit and switch and long straight lines, maybe that will be my 3rd solo for fitness. Looking to kneel and paddle for the time being, wander and explore.

More than one boat ... I am in dangerous company on this site, a crowd full of enablers ... above offer of a Prism - my sense is that a boat like that and H2O 16/6 more for hit and switch and long straight lines, maybe that will be my 3rd solo for fitness. Looking to kneel and paddle for the time being, wander and explore.

I wouldn't say the H2O 16/6 Prospector is a "go straight" boat. I found it to be quite lively and willing to turn. Frankly it was too much for my wife and I, but you should probably try one if you get the chance.

EDIT: Assumed Prospector, but you did not specify and H2O doesn't make one in 16/6 so you must have meant something else.

Last edited:
There is a used Swift Heron in expedition kevlar for sale at Algonquin Outfitters $1198... said to be the predecessor of the Kee 15, link to CCR thread included. No idea if it could be suitable, the $3000 prices for used Winters boats seem too high.

https://algonquinoutfitters.com/used-canoes/

I.

Somehow I missed this. $1100 is highway robbery. It is a DY design not a Winters design.. I can send you pics of my 27 year old Heron. It went out of production shortly after I got mine in 1993. It is a very much older generation of what morphed into the Merlin II and the Kee and has a totally different vibe. It is very round bottom.. To my mind it is a very distant cousin. Not very good for sitters who want to stay dry but is fast.
I paid $1100 for mine new in 1993. Yes USD . but the exchange rate was about the same then and now.

Greetings - I made a decision - instead of any of the above boats went for a Northstar Northwind Solo in Starlight. Initially was tracking down a Phoenix in IXP but thought longer, straighter lighter better suited my needs right now. Curious to see if stiff enough and was leaning to boats without foam cores but...not likely to damage beyond repair. Rocker at 2.5/1.5 and reviews seem to indicate still a maneuverable boat and in between Osprey and Shearwater for capacity.

Used WW boats much easier to find here and a friend has offered a sweet little 14' cedar canvas as a project so I can play a bit more with that and if a suitable used WW boat comes up for the right price might add that to the quiver...Phoenix or SRT are both very appealing still.

Northwind came out at a price comparable to the bigger Hellman and Clipper (also heavier) solos once they included shipping, COVID-19 may still interfere with production and delivery...Locally available H20s and Swifts still not appealing dimension combinations and a more substantial price point - opted to save some money with standard outfitting as I can easily make up wooden elements in the shop and surely the second gunwale installation will come together better than my first...

Used boats continue to be rare and demanding a high price and can't cross the border now either for those options - previously mentioned Osprey is now for sale at $3200. Did see an Osprey in excellent condition shortly after placing the Northstar order at $1600 and a repaired Shearwater at $1400 but far away and sold very quickly. Swift says they are no longer able to produce the Osprey, form is shot, but will make a Shearwater - they also still have some new old stock in the barn.
So, we'll see - I will get out in as many boats as I can when I can while I wait for the new boat and report back on those and the Northwind if and when it shows up.

Thank you for all the input - much appreciated

Congrats on your new boat carpenter! NW Solo is a fine boat.

Solo boats are cool. They seem to be made for enthusiasts and most are well made. You need to paddle all of them in order to decide. They are personal boats and feel different.
I have been on many trips in tandem boats paddling solo. The large solo boats have the most appeal. I am using a kevlar OT Canadienne as a solo boat. It is the 15'7" model and weighs 49 pounds. With no dunnage the primary stabiity is not that great. 32 inch beam. I expect it to settle down with a larger load.

My only relevant experience has been in the Osprey. I'm 6'0", 180 pounds, and tend to pack on the light side. I found the Osprey to be fast enough, plenty maneuverable, and more capacity than I would ever need. I also happen to love its lines and tumblehome. I ended up selling mine to a very eager close friend only because it was some sort of expedition Kevlar layup, bulletproof, but still weighted 50 pounds for a 15' boat. I just wanted something lighter and if I had come across an Osprey in a lighter layup would have snapped it up.

If I had the resources I personally would like to try a Placid Boatworks Rapidfire, at some silly-light poundage.

I do agree that it is best to try paddling them all and see which one thrills you. That tends to be something that is difficult to accomplish. Performance is so subjective, so is the intuitive gut feeling that something is just about right. I also tend to believe that once you actually commit and buy something, you will fall in love with it and it will become your best friend. Kind of like a wife (or husband, partner ... whatever).

Monel

All in all a good experience - hopefully we will be able to do some paddling soon.

Any folk with perspective on the range of layups available, from Northstar or others? I have not seen much objective analysis and certainly few comparisons among specific offerings.

I am still a little hesitant about the durability of the Starlight with Kevlar/Aramid and foam ribs and bottom. Fine for the fitness runs but concerned about Canadian Shield camping...Blacklight seems a not insignificant improvement but worth the premium? IXP without the foam appears really to be a better option for most but I have fallen into the charms of a light boat - though 40 pounds is really not very bad in the big picture...Caribou S comes out about there. Fibreglass as an exterior layer from Clipper and Souris River addresses what some comment about the repairability and durability of Aramid/Kevlar...is it that brittle and challenging to sand? Particular weak points at foam transition points or more a concern with poorly built boats?

All in all a good experience - hopefully we will be able to do some paddling soon.

Any folk with perspective on the range of layups available, from Northstar or others? I have not seen much objective analysis and certainly few comparisons among specific offerings.

I am still a little hesitant about the durability of the Starlight with Kevlar/Aramid and foam ribs and bottom. Fine for the fitness runs but concerned about Canadian Shield camping...Blacklight seems a not insignificant improvement but worth the premium? IXP without the foam appears really to be a better option for most but I have fallen into the charms of a light boat - though 40 pounds is really not very bad in the big picture...Caribou S comes out about there. Fibreglass as an exterior layer from Clipper and Souris River addresses what some comment about the repairability and durability of Aramid/Kevlar...is it that brittle and challenging to sand? Particular weak points at foam transition points or more a concern with poorly built boats?
You might want to start a new thread under Paddlecraft Construction to make sure you get as much feedback as possible.

Overall I think you can't make a bad decision and all lay-ups you are considering are capable of serving your needs. All are fairly easy to repair (I don't know about IXP). For a NW Solo I think the BlackLite with aluminum trim is a good sweet spot for getting a very strong, stiff and light boat at a reasonable price. I think the extra money over StarLite is well spent...better spent on the basic lay-up than upgrading the trim to wood or carbon fiber. The IXP selling point is impact resistance more than abrasion resistance so in my mind it's most appropriate for river boats that will see relatively fast moving water (like a Phoenix rather than a NW Solo).

Given your previous statement around wanting to buy Canadian I think you should also consider the Swift Keewaydin 15. It's extremely similar to the NW Solo. I think I prefer the Swift. In my experience the (small) differences in specs are misleading. I was just looking at the new Swift website and it looks like you can get a Keewaydin 15 in their Expedition Kevlar lay-up with carbon fiber gunwales and it's still only 32 pounds in the heavy duty lay-up.

Back