• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Where to paddle I-70 between Denver and Baltimore?

G

I will be headed east from Denver in mid-May with a canoe on the roof and I’m interested in finding some place along the way to spend a few days paddling. This could be base camping/car camping and day paddling or a few days tripping.

I could deviate off the I-70 route and paddle something in the Ozarks (Current or Buffalo or etc), but that is 300+ miles off route.

Ideas?

Hello Mike,

I don't have any boat experience along I-70, but someone who might is a character going by the name of "ezwater" on the uk site called "Song Of The Paddle".

He lives in the US, has traveled widely and posted detailed trip reports with maps. There's a chance that he'll be of help. You might invite him to join in here.

Make a little detour south and paddle the Current River. Its about two hours south of I 70. There are numerous liveries that can do a shuttle. The Current is not 300 miles off your route. Its just south of Salem MO. Take a look at Google Maps. I have been happy with Akers Ferry Canoe Rental for shuttles. They do not list shuttle rates on their website so you would have to call them.

The Meramec River is just off I 44 http://www.missouricanoe.org/river-maps/meramec.html

Hi, a quick thought is the Maryland, Delaware canoe guide Ed Gertler. The western Maryland/ Pa. is a great area. Best to you, and yours; Ravenwolf;

Back