• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

When is it "too cold" to paddle?

have to ask - is the "Gearfreak 103117" kinda like "Jenny 8675309"? :D:D

I think I met her once on Tinder.

I started writing a post reply amidst packing, interrupted by responding to trip e-mails, and saved the partial reply in Word so I didn’t lose it.

Timely thread. I may be out on a novice day trip soon, and I had not packed the bag of off-season clothes, despite my packing list having entries for both “Clothes” and “Spare clothes”.

All that stuff is now in a small compression stuff bag, smushed down to the size of a shoebox, and that is inside a compression dry bag. That latter is a very thick vinyl impregnated bag with four compression straps and two D rings. Unfortunately it is black in color and I’d much prefer yellow or orange for high visibility as it floats away.

(Actually I don’t like compression dry bags unless space limitations demand. The straps and buckles and ladder locks get hung up on things, and if I have already packed using a compression stuff bag it isn’t really getting any smaller)

Last edited:
I
This year I may finally take the plunge and try some actual winter camping. I’ve tried the canvas tent thing this fall hunting and wowzers do I ever like it. Winters are long here. As a matter of fact snow came Thursday and it’s snowed every day since. Won’t see any grass til April I’m sure. Get out there, have fun and be safe. Remember the old proverb “There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing”

Red: now you're talking. A nice hot tent will open up new horizons and possibilities for you - boating, camping, hunting, whatever...
There are some fellow fanatics here on CT and there'll no doubt be some new postings on the winter camping page Robin set up last year.

Winter Trekking forum, where more than a few of us here are also members, is a tremendous resource for new and experienced winter travelers.

Red: now you're talking. A nice hot tent will open up new horizons and possibilities for you - boating, camping, hunting, whatever...
There are some fellow fanatics here on CT and there'll no doubt be some new postings on the winter camping page Robin set up last year.

Winter Trekking forum, where more than a few of us here are also members, is a tremendous resource for new and experienced winter travelers.

We do use the tent and stove early season and late season. Basically the only time we dont use it is July lol...

I paddle year-round, and winter is actually my favorite time to paddle - especially in the snow or when there is snow on the ground. It's quiet and everything is white and clean. My biggest problem is finding people to paddle with. If there is snow on the ground my local paddling friends would prefer to snowshoe or hike. The die-hard whitewater crew paddling that time of year tends to be a little over my skill level. Somehow I manage ;-)

To answer the original question "how cold it too cold", I'd say when it gets down into the teens I think twice - especially if there is wind. Trips in those conditions tend to be shorter.

Pictures from some winter trips here - mostly paddling, but also some poling, hiking and shoveling.

https://vimeo.com/194492153

Last year the last week of October in the ADK's was raw and cold. I would go again in these conditions, but the truck has to be within an hour paddle out.

Jfp8SaXsXNYje1uV50qhdgnRp63KmQkjTw_D6RC6sp62De-4Uj3oMBUJekUDsZbtiCCEdvZtItONUYAEoNDGkOJ51cEF1zuA8L6_vQXlBnzk5VPRRV0YfFwH6G13JiYrjXvooOdYFx9xOTwnEUlg3_6BUaO8WsqG47ImZr44NWN6iA9JMKWv12CFdBZdCN1817cISaR94vtrhF-WTRJvC3sEmWiLduavuVQSVFLHqjeIovHJYAgB2fe3Wy1VGfmd_8Q3UfrNQp4nJB_AFgRhrf3AHH_8bUBqJnS9nusAMPzzZo_EONPgFnji00pS4KB9qepAn-8-uv6D0jFoROsXPIDU9zoaDNBSM6UHnZS3MO_pPlOcKuIeUJv-NcU29g6Sine52uCuVT4fYHLbWBCVJjaOpU-Udy2ztPaHduELfU6_DV9HJPvq02GcCM96FjujjORkhXGNX5FnNmn4_N49cCzsqJfvYHMrkW1pUGmruXTWrctCwwtXmYtaLdohnV-RGvovJsCZq6KaWGGAf4OZzutp4RklpIGCQ_bPY0gBzMxokmA58iUgJC19apY_Lx4JOhMgMuuc6lmdB3mc1jSm9bkBp1019uxf7f8Kg0IqEparOr6beoA_J7rBIQrM3SAOycxZj5MCxnYOQBgBEM8Ts6XrPjXgCkIi1lo=w640-h480-no

Last edited:
I have done some rafting in the snow in March and April to take advantage of spring snow melt.
We did one canoe trip in Feb on the lower Colorado River, with frost every night, short days and little fuel for a fire. The water was around 48 degrees and too cold for bass fishing. The lack of daylight was the hardest thing to overcome. Some cheap solar garden lights around camp helped.
Now that I am older, I like the 100 degree rule for comfortable canoeing.

The good trout fishing in the Sierras is late in the year into November in the mountains. I have done some power boat fishing trips in the snow with water temps in the low 40s. We camped in a canvas tent with a wood stove. Sometimes we had to wait for the snow and ice to melt off the boat to launch. The boat ramp has ice on it, but we caught the heck out of the rainbows over 20 inches. Now I would rather stay in an RV or a motel.

Back