• Happy Tear the Tags Off the Mattress Day! 🛏️✂️🏷️🚔🚨👮

What are you reading?

I'm not reading this book but by dad is and has been telling me about it. Thought some here might be interested in it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FC1ISQ/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?ie=UTF8&btkr=1

Sounds like the book, and the entire story for that matter, were pretty much unknown until recently, not having been much available outside Russia.

Alan

That seems like a book I read last summer by Cassie Brown A Death on the Ice about the great sealing disaster in Newfoundland in 1914. I'll have to look into the book you cited Alan

Curiously we like to paddle the desert Southwest and find the history fascinating.. we will be back there in April to the low desert first then maybe in May as the snow melts in the high desert.

Newfoundland has a wetter climate than the Barrens but similar vegetation. We enjoy paddling there and its quite cheap and way closer to get to. Most of it is totally uninhabited but we love talking to those who live on the tundra.

I started Daylight in the Swamp last night. Interesting read so far. Package heading your way.

That book was a happy Canoe Tripping accident. Having remembered only the title and not the author that little oddity turned up at my doorstep used.

If you are willing, sign your name on the flyleaf, mail it to someone on Canoe Tripping and we’ll see how convoluted a circle we can make.

The anecdotal tales are kind of Bunyun-esque in elaboration, but I didn’t know much about White Pine lumbering rush across Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota, and less about the evolution of lumbering techniques and camp organization. The amount of wood that was wasted by early saw blades, what to do with a literal mountain of sawdust, the distain for hardwoods and the incredible fire hazard of tops and limbs left piled behind.

I was familiar with some of the earlier Maine lumbering stuff, including the English Crown claiming any white pine of a certain diameter as theirs for sailing ship masts, and I had read about the Peshtigo Fire, but not realized or remembered it was a common enough danger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peshtigo_Fire

The prevalence of taverns and whorehouses should come as no surprise. The not apocryphal tale in Paradise AZ is that you can easily tell the difference in the locations of the old Silver Rush bars and whorehouses. The bars were along the road and the whorehouses up the hill a ways, on the theory that no man would walk that far for just a drink.

Pass it on. The book too.

Package heading your way.

Did you send me a copy of “Death on the Barrens”?

I don’t think I ordered it, but it showed up today from Mondazzi Books.

In any case, it’s in the bedside queue (note: a word that sounds the same if you remove all but the first letter)

Say Hi to your dad. Order him a copy of Prisoner of Geography

http://www.amazon.com/Prisoners-Geo...7386663&sr=1-1&keywords=prisoner+of+geography

I think he would dig that book, and lay some peculiar geo-political trivia on you every morning.

Did you send me a copy of “Death on the Barrens”?

I don’t think I ordered it, but it showed up today from Mondazzi Books.

Yes. I would have sent you my copy but:

A: I'm kind of a book hoarder. When I like a book I want to keep it on the shelf so I can pull it down and read all or part of it again anytime I want.
B: It was a $.01 used book from Amazon with $3.99 shipping. Probably would have cost me just as much to mail a copy from the post office.

Say Hi to your dad. Order him a copy of Prisoner of Geography

http://www.amazon.com/Prisoners-Geo...7386663&sr=1-1&keywords=prisoner+of+geography

I think he would dig that book, and lay some peculiar geo-political trivia on you every morning.

I'll let him know about it. I'd order it for him but he's almost strictly Kindle nowadays.

Alan

For some historical fiction I enjoy Gary McCarthy, think of a grittier Louis L' Amour.

Just finished 'The Gila River' from the 'river series', he also has a National Parks series that I liked.

Surprisingly inexpensive on Kindle.

We dropped into our favourite bookstore last weekend. My wife was on a mission to find something with trains and dinosaurs for our 2-year-old grandson. I was just browsing, but came up with a fascinating read. Every Trail Has A Story (Heritage Travel In Canada) by Bob Henderson is about the author’s appreciation and research into the history, culture, folklore and intrinsic attraction for places both on maps and in historical records. One such chapter really hit home for me, as it deals with the countryside immediately around my rural childhood home. In the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century the adventurer Louis Jolliet, the explorer Rene Robert Cavalier Sieur de LaSalle and the Sulpician missionary Rene de Brehant de Gallinee all converged at the Iroquoian village of Tinawatawa, at the eastern end of Lake Ontario. They all went their separate ways following their separate destinies, but the exact location of this village remains a mystery, as is the exact location of the Grand Portage linking the Fond du Lac (head of Lake Ontario-Burlington Bay) and Riviere Rapide, later Riviere Grande (Grand River). The author explores the locations with 17[SUP]th[/SUP] century maps and field notes, along with historians’ research. I find it thrilling to recognize so many farm paths, forest trails and streamside glades in this chapter, and to imagine having spent my youth so near to history separated by a mere several hundred years. To think I used to wander with trusty musket shaped stick in hand, haversack of sandwiches slung over my shoulder, striding off through the “wilderness” of field and stream, imagining all stories of Indian villages and European explorers were just dusty boring old school homework!

A: I'm kind of a book hoarder. When I like a book I want to keep it on the shelf so I can pull it down and read all or part of it again anytime I want.
B: It was a $.01 used book from Amazon with $3.99 shipping. Probably would have cost me just as much to mail a copy from the post office.

A: I am a book passer-alonger, especially used paperbacks. If I read something I know a friend will enjoy I give it to them. I used to think I was “loaning” it to them, but with a 10 percent return rate. . . . .

It’s still worth it. If it was a book I found illuminating, informative or enjoyable, or especially if it changed my view or perspective, I know I want to share it with like minded friends.

B: Inexpensive used books from Amazon have become a rich source of reading material. I will still inter-library loan any title on my wish list as my first option, but if I can’t find it that way I’m off to Amazon.

And even if I do find a library copy some books are worth a few bucks Amazon used to have and hold, or to pass along.

I have already ordered used copies of both The Lost World of the Old Ones and In Search of the Old Ones to share with a canyon wandering friend.

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-World-Ol...r=1-1&keywords=the+lost+world+of+the+old+ones

http://www.amazon.com/Search-Old-On...625&sr=1-1&keywords=in+search+of+the+old+ones

Alan, if you have not already ordered used copies of those two I guarantee you will relish them as a desert wanderer. Thanks Jagdaddy for the suggestion.

And for what I expect will be a continuing source of good reads. David Roberts has authored or co-authored 20 plus books and I enjoy his writing style.

http://www.amazon.com/David-Roberts/e/B000APBDA6

I lost most of my books in a house fire two years ago this Mon but what I could salvage were two books that I read in my youth that pretty much cemented my interest in being outdoors. My guess is a lot you also read these. I'm actually re-reading them now as I never tire of them...perhaps an older age kinda thing.

Rascal by Sterling North

My Side of the Mountain by Jean George.

I read the Jean George book first and at that age was determined to runaway and live in the woods, grade school. My father offered to drive to some far off woods and leave me there. Guess I chickened out. I never tire of Rascal. It depicts such a simpler life back in those days as far as just pulling off the side of the road and finding a nice place to camp. Not as sophisticated as some other reads posted but certainly books worth noting.

dougd

I lost most of my books in a house fire two years ago this Mon but what I could salvage were two books that I read in my youth that pretty much cemented my interest in being outdoors. My guess is a lot you also read these. I'm actually re-reading them now as I never tire of them...perhaps an older age kinda thing.

My Side of the Mountain by Jean George.

I read the Jean George book first and at that age was determined to runaway and live in the woods, grade school.

Doug, I knew there was a reason I liked you, I just couldn’t figure out way.

I grew up reading and re-reading My Side of the Mountain, and my childhood best friend likewise. We had everything except Frightful.

I read it to my sons when they were little, and, heck, I re-read it myself a few years ago.

I have to come back to Bloodsport by Robert F Jones and try to make a case for it. For anyone who is an outdoorsman, enjoys hunting and fishing, and has a taste for the bizarre, this book is a must read. Since first reading it at age 21, I have reread it every second year of my life, and never tire of it. It is simply one of the most fantastic reads of my life. I've put a couple of reviews below:

I would recommend this book for hard core, old school hippies, but not modern, tree hugging hippies. If Hunter S. Thompson, Ted Nugent, Bill Dance, and Kurt Vonnegut collaborated on a book; it would read like this.

In 1974, Robert F. Jones an editor for the magazine Field and Stream, wrote a critically acclaimed but relatively unknown satiric novel on acid (it was 1974 after all) about a manly man obsessed with hunting and fishing who takes his almost pubescent son on a camping trip in order to toughen him up. The trip takes them up the mythical but mighty Hassayampa River to its headwaters and back. The Hassayampa winds its way from eastern China through upper Wisconsin until it flows into Croton Lake near the sleepy town of Valhalla in Westchester County NY.
During their trip, they manage to slaughter and eat a goodly number of representatives of most species that now live on earth, some that do not and never did and a few such as aurochs and mastodons that no longer exist anywhere other than along the river. They also dispatch a few Communist Chinese troopers and various criminals until they run into the famous, feared and immortal bandit, “Ratanous.” Ratanous persuades the son to abandon his father and join his band of brigands. In order to save his son’s soul, the man tracks down the bandits and challenges Ratanous to a deadly duel to the death by fly rods with poison hooks.
This is not a novel for the aesthetically, intellectually and morally squeamish. Its violence would make William Burroughs proud and its gonzo style cause Hunter Thompson to blush. There is a certain amount of cannibalism complete with recipes. Also, there is a morbid fascination with vaginas and their infinite variety. It is a man’s book even as it satirizes them. There is no sentimentality about killing and little risk avoidance — and almost no women (other than participants in orgies) except for an absent wife and daughter, a lusty Ukrainian laundress and a young bandit named Twigan.

I have to come back to Bloodsport by Robert F Jones and try to make a case for it. For anyone who is an outdoorsman, enjoys hunting and fishing, and has a taste for the bizarre, this book is a must read. Since first reading it at age 21, I have reread it every second year of my life, and never tire of it. It is simply one of the most fantastic reads of my life. I've put a couple of reviews below

Bloodsport is on my library list.

I am suddenly rich in unread and recommended books. I’m packing for a family trip and have three in the book bag:

Canoeing with the Cree. I read it years (decades) ago, but now I own a used copy.

Death on the Barrens. Thanks Alan.

The Windup Girl. Library copy. I’m not much of a fiction reader but I really enjoyed The Water Knife. Thanks Canoedog.

That should hold me for a lazy week.

May have found a new favorite book this winter. Sleeping Island by P.G. Downes about a 1939 canoe trip to the edge of the Berens at, what is today, the Manitoba/Nunavut border. Nueltin Lake was the destination and, if I remember correctly, he and his canoeing partner (who he picked up by chance at a trading post en-route) were only the third white men to ever see this lake, the first being Samuel Hearne.

http://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Isla...id=1458095307&sr=8-1&keywords=sleeping+island

Just recently it's been made available on Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Isla...id=1458095307&sr=8-2&keywords=sleeping+island

By all accounts P.G. was a very interesting character who was well respected by the natives of the area as well as the white traders and trappers. Along the way he met up with many Indians heading south to the trading posts and even some Inuit at the northern end of his travels. He was aware at the time these traditional ways were coming to an end as the white men and airplanes were pushing farther and farther into the barren lands. A very well written book and one I look forward to reading again.

For a little teaser here are some photos from that, and other, trips P.G. took to the far north: http://www.mcgahernbooks.ca/mcspublishing/downes/album/index.htm

You might have to scroll down to see them but each picture has a caption.

Alan

Yes. I would have sent you my copy but:

Alan, I read Death on the Barrens. Twice; I ran through all three books I’d brought on a trip and chose to re-read Death on the Barrens. Didn’t actually “choose to”, I dang near speed read the other two just so I could have the pleasure of a re-read. I’ve name-stamped the cover for my personal library holdings, and will probably buy another copy to pass along.

(OK, I went back and re-re-read some sections a third time, trying to come to grips with what the heck went wrong)

Grinnell’s life history, family ancestry, occasional Zen koan reflections* and 40 years later trip introspection compliment the telling of the tale. Anyone who has tripped with a group, or even a partner, will recognize the challenges of accommodating different styles, changing group dichotomy and evolving leadership dynamics.

Some of the little anecdotal struggles rang humorously familiar. The 12 foot Black Spruce poles underfoot in the bottom of the canoe being surreptitiously nudged forward by the stern man, and then slowly nudged back by the bow. Excepting the Black Spruce specification I’ve been there and done exactly that in the same wordless way with poles in the bottom of the canoe.

But dang, what the heck happened? I struggled to comprehend how a party of 6 could continue to take day after day off from paddling, even in fine weather, only fart around camp while making daily inventory their food supply and exclaiming “We are far behind schedule, winter is coming and we’re running out of food. . . . Let’s take another holiday”.

Quoted from the book
“Although we took holidays on more than half the days of August, we did occasionally travel down lake”
“Because we had lost the sensation of getting anywhere, we began to spend less and less time actually trying”
“The weather was fine for paddling, but we preferred to hunt, fish and gather berries”

So much for the wisdom of navel gazing. Please remember than when you do a Barrenlands trip. The collective here frets about your stationary SPOT location.

It is a shame that there isn’t a companion volume from Peter Franck’s perspective. The youngest. The only one never to vote to “take a holiday”. So consistently that his companions stopped even asking.

The one who declared, as the food ran out and they dawdled falling further and further behind schedule “This is c-c-c-razy, everyone has gone m-m-mad”. The only one who kept matches in a waterproof container. The only one who didn’t swim at the fatal falls and so rescued five helpless companions.

I would call Peter Franck the savior of that trip.

I would, except that he knew; he recognized the madness and he couldashoulda assumed command or asserted himself, or at least formed a minor cabal insistent on moving the trip along on fair weather days. All Barrenlands mysticism aside their groupthink decision making was inexplicable.

Grinnell’s life retrospective chapter at the end, “The Longer Pilgrimage” is heartbreaking. I won’t ruin that part of the tale, but only say that it is an undeserved twist to his family lineage.

*I do love me a good Zen Koan. Pick a number between 1 and 100 and click randomly:

http://www.ashidakim.com/zenkoans/zenindex.html

I'm glad you liked it as much as I did, Mike. I really enjoyed the perspective of the author looking back through 40 years of life and its experiences. I was excited to put it back on my shelf thinking of the day next winter when I'd pull it out to read again.

I've heard criticisms of the book claiming the author, Grinnell, threw the leader of the expedition, Moffat, under the bus and laid blame for the failed trip squarely on his shoulders. I certainly didn't get that take from the book however. While there were times, especially early in the trip, where the author questioned Moffat's planning and leadership abilities, and there did seem to be some near mutinies, as the trip progressed so did the sources of its successes and failures, according to the author. By the end I didn't know who to blame for what happened. Plenty of blame was heaped onto the author's own shoulders and while I don't think any one of them was entirely to blame for the outcome it's probably true that any one of them could have changed it for the better. In the end there wasn't one character I didn't like and respect.

When I started reading the book and I was also aware of another book that may make you very happy. http://www.amazon.com/Barren-Grounds-Story-Tragic-Moffatt/dp/1611685338

It was released after A Death in the Barrens and is a collection of journal entries from Skip Pessl and, perhaps the savior of the trip, Peter Franck. Supposedly Skip didn't think much of George's book and put this out to set the record straight. I haven't read it yet and don't know what contradictions there may be between the books. Part of me doesn't want to read it. I enjoyed A Death in the Barrens so much I'd hate to tarnish it by learning that things were, or might have been, fabricated and embellished. But I do like things that are true so at some point I'll give it a read and try to reconcile the two.

One question that comes to mind is: just because the other book is made up of journal entries written at the time the trip took place does that make them true? Just because one person doesn't write about the same confrontations, food rations, and fears does that mean they might not have really existed? Our mood, pride, and personal feelings can have a lot of influence about what and how we write in a journal. I've kept a journal off and on for about 10 years, since my mid-20's, and I often find myself shaking my head when I read some of those old entries. Sometimes I think I'm better at fooling myself than other people. To my mind it's entirely possible that A Death in the Barrens, written 40 years after the fact, could indeed by more true than accounts taken during and immediately after the event, even if the book isn't entirely grounded in fact.

Alan

I'm glad you liked it as much as I did, Mike. I really enjoyed the perspective of the author looking back through 40 years of life and its experiences. I was excited to put it back on my shelf thinking of the day next winter when I'd pull it out to read again.

When I started reading the book and I was also aware of another book that may make you very happy. http://www.amazon.com/Barren-Grounds-Story-Tragic-Moffatt/dp/1611685338

Happy indeed. I will look for it.

Part of me doesn't want to read it. I enjoyed A Death in the Barrens so much I'd hate to tarnish it by learning that things were, or might have been, fabricated and embellished. But I do like things that are true so at some point I'll give it a read and try to reconcile the two.

I doubt it will tarnish the beauty of Grinnell’s book for me. I have generally enjoyed the telling of the other perspective. Rugge and Davidson’s Great Heart manages to combine both in one book.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Heart-H...eat+heart+the+history+of+a+labrador+adventure

Along those same lines, I enjoyed Krakauer’s Into Thin Air

http://www.amazon.com/Into-Thin-Air...&qid=1458492576&sr=1-1&keywords=into+thin+air

But Boukreev’s The Climb, while a less enjoyable read, provided a perspective and maybe some truths that Krakauer knowingly glossed over.

http://www.amazon.com/Climb-Tragic-...sr=1-1&keywords=the+climb+by+anatoli+boukreev

One question that comes to mind is: just because the other book is made up of journal entries written at the time the trip took place does that make them true? Just because one person doesn't write about the same confrontations, food rations, and fears does that mean they might not have really existed? Our mood, pride, and personal feelings can have a lot of influence about what and how we write in a journal. I've kept a journal off and on for about 10 years, since my mid-20's, and I often find myself shaking my head when I read some of those old entries. Sometimes I think I'm better at fooling myself than other people. To my mind it's entirely possible that A Death in the Barrens, written 40 years after the fact, could indeed by more true than accounts taken during and immediately after the event, even if the book isn't entirely grounded in fact.

Alan, I have trip journals going back to my first long cross country ramble in 1976, and from every trip since.

The concerns and infatuations of 20 year old me are humorous if awkward for 60 year old me to read. What I know and appreciate about those trips given 40 years of reflection is very different than what the younger me ever contemplated.

I will put in a word of encouragement for keeping a trip journal. Specifically for keeping a trip journal starting when you are young and don’t know what you don’t know. It is never too late to start, but 20 year old you will never again put pen to paper, and 60 year old you will smile with the wisdom of years at the youngster’s perspective.

Back