• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Western Oregon

Reaction score
We live in the Coast Range of western Oregon, on the Luckiamute River. I've paddled tandem for years, but have been canoeing solo alot more lately. I have paddled much of the Willamette River from Eugene north and my own smaller Luckiamute. But last year took several trips to the lakes of the Cascade Mountains and I am really starting to like high mountain flatwater.

I have 3 boats: 2 Old Town Discoverys...a 119K (affectionately named "Shorty") and a 158 (unaffectionately named "Barge"). But my pride is going to be a 18 foot handmade stripper that I bought last fall and is scheduled for some minor repair and restoration this spring. Light and pretty and already very affectionately named "Sweetwater", it may make the other two unique lawn ornaments!

I am looking forward to being a part of this forum.

Dave

Dave,
I am planning a trip on the Willamette R this summer with old friends coming from out of town. The logistics are favorable flying to Portland and starting below Eugene for around 78 miles. I have one of the guide maps. Looks like an easy and fun trip. In OR so far we have paddled the John Day and the Umpqua. Kudos to the people that have promoted the paddle trail and acquired land to camp on.

Thank you for your welcome, Robin. We do have a lot of canoe trips here in the west. But reading about trips on this and other sites, I admit to jonesin' sometimes for a chance to paddle the abundance of lakes, rivers and wilderness you all have in the northern plains, New England and Canada.

Ppine...you've probably read it, but Canoe and Kayak Routes of Northwest Oregon by Philip N. Jones has the Willamette Trail broken down into roughly 10-20 mile segments beginning at Eugene and ending in Portland. The book lines out other trips on the tributaries, the mountains, the Columbia and the cost.

And I second your salute to the ramrods of the Willamette Paddle Trail.

Dave

Welcome DaveOR. I'm looking forward to hearing about Oregon paddling, and seeing your Sweetwater stripper. Don't turn Shorty and Barge into flower beds just yet, you never know when they might be called into service!

Thank you for the welcome and you are right, of course, Brad. I probably shouldn't diss The Barge. At 80 lbs, it's a bear to get in the water, but once in, loaded and trimmed it paddles well, even solo...

Dave

Dave,
I have "Soggy Sneakers" which is easier to get a hold of. Thanks for the encouragement.

Canoeing has always been more than a sport, more like a mental health plan.

I have had some great paddling partners over the years, but had one bad one this fall. I am still disappointed by the experience.

Back