• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Wenonah Voyager for Fishing?

Reaction score
Does anyone fish out of a Wenonah Voyager? I am in a Prism right now which I love. But I want a lighter layup and a little more speed wouldn't hurt either. I go out to a pretty big reservoir once a week and put in 8-12 miles in the Prism with stops at likely spot to cast a spook or swim bait. I'm not trying to stand up or beat the banks all day. I mostly go for the paddle and the scenery but I do like to cast a line while I'm out. I'm hoping the Voyager will be stable enough to stop and cast a line but if it isn't I will probably just get a lighter Prism or possibly and Advantage.

I would get the boat that you want to paddle the most, without regard for fishing. My philosophy is not to let the fishing take away from a good paddle. For ease of fishing though, I would go for something with a straight keel line for good tracking and a center seat for more predictable effect from the wind. I would also want some extra width for added stability, because the fishing can take your focus away from boat movement.

Last edited:
I fish and camp out of a Wenonah Whisper. This is there description:

The ideal performance solo canoe for lightweight paddlers up to 150 lbs. This design is smaller than the Advantage; less stable, but more efficient.

I know this is a different model to what you are asking but compared to the description of the Voyager.

But the description for the Voyager is:
This hull is the solo version of the legendary Minnesota II a incredibly efficient, straight-tracking and capable of carrying two-weeks gear.

I paddle a Voyager, but don't fish. So I'm not much use. It's a bit squirrely empty (I've paddled fast solos for a long time--Advantage, WWC-1, Encounter), but settles down nicely when loaded. It will be more tender than the Prism, but a lot more fun to paddle (sit and switch, with a bent shaft).

Thanks, this is helpful. Doesn't sound like the voyager is much of a fishing boat. I am going to put that boat on the back burner and focus on a river boat.

I got a Vagabond for a more efficient flatwater boat than the old 1976 Explorer, still having a bit more stability than the pure flatwater speedsters.
So far liking it a lot, haven't had time for a long trip yet but it fishes well..

chat eye 3.jpgchat eye.jpg

Back