• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Well I made one

Boy, I never really even thought about trying a pole as i am newer to a Canoe. But after reading here and doing some poking around on Utube i'm thinking this could be perfect! Plus im always up to learn something new. We have some beautiful local streams and small rivers in our area that a pole would be perfect for! At least a half dozen nice spots, some great fishing too that you just could not get to in kayak and likely not with a paddle in a canoe. I'm ordering me up some 6061T6,( the 7075 is a pita in my area in that size) to make one up. I own a small manufacturing plant so have suppliers in here weekly. If anyone local enough to my area wants some tubing drop me a message id be glad to bring in some extra.

Ken

Well I'm here again. Last year didn't go so well. Between family health issues, a hurricane, and rotor cuff damage of one of the trippers we were not able to make any trips. So i still haven't tested my pole yet. This year is going to be better (I hope). Got a trip planned mid March with my Georgia Kayak Fishing buddies to go back to the Okeefinokee Swamp for about 3 days. One of the guys from the Oconee River trips is going also. We will take my Blazer 16 and his 17' aluminum canoe. If the wind is up we will tandem if no wind solo. I was reading the Gheenoe forum and came across a poling article.. They use long very expensive pole (16 - 20 ft). One guy was talking about using bamboo poles. He said to cut them green and use a torch to heat each section until the color flashed from green to brown. He said they are fairly strong, very light weight and buoyant. Not to mention CHEAP. Got a neighbor that has a small patch with big bamboo. I'll give it a try and see what happens. Till then.

BF, I've used Plumbers Epoxy to seal the ends of my poles and that may help out. 2 part epoxy that is solid until you roll it in your hands. Sets up in about 24 hours or so. I have one pole I used that on back in 1999 and it's still going strong.

dougd

Well, you need two poles. Just like a spare paddle is handy when paddling, you need a spare pole. There will be times when the pole hangs up in the river bottom or in overhanging trees, and if you don't want to bend the pole or get yanked out of the boat, or both, the best thing to do is let go of the pole. Sometimes, after you let it go, the pole frees itself and comes floating down to you. But, other times, the pole just sticks there, vibrating in the current, and you need to pole back to it and yank it out....

And sometimes, if you do it just right, the pole springs back and whacks you upside the head. :p

I started this in 7/17 with plans to use the pole on our 6 day river trip in 9/17. Mother nature had other ideas and sent a hurricane to keep us off the river. Well we went this year and mother nature cut out 6 day trip in half with another hurricane. That is ok at least we got to go. I used my pole (Home Depot model) several times when the water was to shallow to paddle. Man let me tell you that pole is the best thing in that situation. Best thing since sliced bread and toilet paper (maybe not toilet paper). It saved me from having to get out and drag the canoe when it was real shallow. I have Gator Glide on the bottom as well so between it and the pole I was able to glide over some spots that others were walking and dragging their canoe. I will not be without a pole while on shallow water rivers and creeks.

Back