• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

Weather radio

I thought it would be a good idea until I looked at coverage in Canada. Around the coast and more populated areas seems to be covered pretty well but where I tend to go there isn't any coverage; so that was the end of that.

Alan

I have an ICOMM M 24. Have had for several years. It is used mostly in Maine and Florida.. On the Ontario side of Lake Superior there usually isn't very wide coverage. Weather radios are not nation dependent.. If you have one that picks up NOAA it will get Environment Canada.. I have the option of selecting international frequencies too.
I got it for a two way radio for kayaking off the coast of Maine.. I don't typically take it to inland locations.

Since I carry the Satellite phone my wife texts me the weather each evening. I can then make safer and drier plans for the next days travel. We use texts so I get the info loaded to the phone with even a brief satellite connection and frees up our talk time for other things.

I agree with Alan's statement, most Canadian land area won't get weather radio reception. Environment Canada states that the WX radio signals might be good for 60 km from the transmitter which doesn't cover very much area and even in range, since the transmission is in straight line-of-sight FM, it can be blocked out on lakes and rivers by higher surrounding hills.

It might be better to hunt around at night for AM stations from nearby cities... AM signals will be more easily heard at night with transmissions being reflected from the upper atmosphere and the range of an AM station can be many times greater. I used to have a favorite in Lexington Kentucky 1170 AM which transmitted religious fire and brimstone sermons every night, real old-time pounding on the pulpit, repent for your sins for the end is coming stuff, which was something to hear on a dark and stormy night... but that was eventually replaced by programmed soft rock, or more mainstream toned-down Christian music.

The newer portable AM/FM/WX radios (eg, Crane, Sangean) can save individual stations and once you've found some good ones at night, it's just a matter of saving them and pressing a button every night to listen if nearby AM stations can be heard (reception can vary from night to night). In Canada CBC stations usually give short weather forecasts on the hour and there may be more detailed forecasts at certain times at some stations.

Thanks! I was looking at the Eton crank radios, looks like a good option. I used to carry a little am radio and could pick up some interesting programs at night!!!

Best yet is to note weather at home. Humidity i.e. Haze. Wind direction sky and noted weather. Such as clear rainy etc
Patterns emerge. If you live within two or three days of canoe country just practicing noticing will be a big help on your trip. The CBC repeater stations are usually too low power to help beyond 15 km

Last edited:
A paddling friend who is a pilot used to swear by his aviation weather radio, now he swears at it. The only accurate forecast in my canoeing experience is the temperature. Wind in particular is almost always way under predicted speed. I have left WNY after checking the latest weather from multiple sources, and apon arrival 5hrs later had to totally change my plans.
Turtle

For the last 20 years or so I've used a handheld, floatable VHF radio. Purchased for sea kayaking and hailing in coastal waters, it has a fine weather radio. My use has been solely US but I've always been able to receive NOAA weather, but for some deep canyon exceptions. Standard Horizon HX750s. I've found NOAA forecasts pretty accurate. And you get that lovely machine voice in two genders.

I just bought a as a starter "C. Crane CC Pocket AM FM and NOAA Weather Radio with Clock and Sleep Timer" for a starter radio, I might upgrade later. It has an alarm on it so I can leave that at home.

Sweeper, the C. Crane pocket radio was one of the radios I had been considering but hadn't committed to yet so I hope you'll report on how well it works in remote spots.

Pocket radios typically have poorer AM reception than larger radios because the internal AM antenna can't be made large enough to pull in weak signals. Here's a quick and dirty hobo's trick to boost reception when AM stations are far away. This might not be necessary at night since AM signals bouncing off the upper atmosphere can make for better reception, still might be worth a try. In my tent, bringing the radio near one of the metal tent poles has the same effect. Another thing to try might be to attach the wire to a grounded metal tent stake, instead of a toe, which should make for an easier time at camp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL4SboK6FTw

Last edited:
Thanks for the Antenna tip ft, I'll let you know how it work with and without the wire.

Back