• Happy Peace Officers Memorial Day! 👮🏽‍♂️👮‍♀️

Way off topic

G

I have my trained-to-be-curious sons and question-authority offspring home for Christmas.

This morning’s far wandering discussion started with the neighbor’s gone-to-slaughter beef cattle and evolved into a debate about what is a heifer and what is a cow (which they should have known, having attended a rural agricultural magnet High School - FAIL), and then segued into which female mammals and babies are known as “cows” and “calves” and why.

One son took the stance that any female mammal which had borne children as a cow. I noted that this would then apply to their mother, who unbeknownst to me was listening in the next room.

Not wives. But antelope, Bison, Camel, Elk, Moose, Elephants, Giraffes, Yaks, Whales and etc are all cows and calfs. . . . gawd bless the Google machine. I will print this out as a Christmas gift for them to study, and quiz them later.

http://www2.biology.ualberta.ca/uamz.hp/MamName.html

That list appears to have the sex terms for the fox and the giraffe wrong. Vixen is female.

I noticed the fox one. I will have to quiz them on the list mistakes.

Off topic but strangely fascinating. Imagine gangs of Bison and Elk. And what could happen if they were to run into a horde of Gerbil?
On the other hand, a clutter of cats sounds pretty cute. And then there is the chattering cartload of Chimps. Awesome! :)

Off topic but strangely fascinating. Imagine gangs of Bison and Elk. And what could happen if they were to run into a horde of Gerbil?

I believe that Disney has an animated remake of West Side Story coming out featuring just that scenario.

The dance numbers should be delightfully catchy tunes. The leaked list of song titles:

I Feel Furry
Four Stomachs, One Cud
A Gerbil Like That

And of course, Gee Officer Wombat

Back