• Happy Birthday, Gary Cooper (1901-61)! 📽️☝🏻🕛

Video: Portaging canoe and packs:

Reaction score
Hi folks, I uploaded a video on YouTube called "Portaging Canoe and Packs". Its really intended for beginners who may be struggling with how to get that canoe onto the shoulders, or lift a heavy portage pack onto one's back without doing the turtle on its back thing. I also T up a 30L barrel on top of the pack (with a fail included), and use the shoulder strap as a tump. But the experienced veterans may enjoy it too, and for whetting the tripping appetite, I included some footage of some nice looking Boreal black spruce forest.

I inserted some slow motion segments showing some of the ergonomic steps. Its sort of like Judo - its using the body efficiently and setting the masses (canoe and packs) in motion and then using their momentum. (Note: The canoe does have a deep dish yoke and pad).

Its how I do it, but of course there are several other ways to do these lifts which I sometimes do, but the ones shown are my favourite methods.

The return of the HOOP. Awesome crap man. I like the paddle sling...what the heck, why didnt I think of that. However, I cant really do any of that stuff. Especially double stacking packs/barrel. After a lifetime of not worrying about those kind of things, I now have to worry about those kind of things. Old and beat up I am. As are a lot of the rest of us. I can hoist the 42lb Mattawa no problem though...lol

It is great to see you are still able to manage. Epic stuff man.

Christy

Hey HOOP! Thanks for putting it up, wonder why it hasn't popped up on my subscriber feed yet? Hmmmmm. As soon as I get home in the morning I'll have to watch it

Nice video, I like the fact that you left the "opps" moment in there:(, is that a kevlar canoe?

Great vid, that canoe roll up to your shoulders was smooth.

I wonder why you don't just wedge, or fasten your paddle inside your canoe, while portaging ?

By the way I've picked up a lot of good info off your Youtube vids !

Jim

I also like seeing the "oops-argh" moment. Nothing comical about it, just shows how some small stuff can go wrong and we just deal with it.
Also, am I the only one who has a habitual bias towards lifting the canoe from one side rather than the other, kinda like always putting on my right sock first?
Thanks for the video Hoop.

Thanks for the nice video. I have a small food barrel that I throw on top as a second pack also. I put mine in an army duffel bag along with some other stuff that doesn't need to be waterproofed like a saw, axe and fishing equipment. It makes the top pack wider and less slippery which helps keep it up there and it also will lighten your main pack making it easier to load and unload.

Thanks for the nice video. I have a small food barrel that I throw on top as a second pack also. I put mine in an army duffel bag along with some other stuff that doesn't need to be waterproofed like a saw, axe and fishing equipment. It makes the top pack wider and less slippery which helps keep it up there and it also will lighten your main pack making it easier to load and unload.

2, 5 gal buckets fit perfect in my old nylon Army duffel, so long as they are not the tall ones.
I haven't used it yet, as I made a portage yoke to carry buckets years ago. The kids hated that potage yoke !

great lookin' video!

i generally T my packs, with a tump and then single the canoe on the second trip...

when i get old i'll get kevar

maybe

Another thanks for your video, Hoop. You make flipping up the canoe look so effortless.

Back