• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Used Wenonah

G

At the risk of having this snatched from me I figured I am going to ask about it.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/spo/3833752266.html

Looks to me like an 'Escape' rather than a Sundowner unless the older models had different naming. Not sure the vintage of this but it looks to be a little older style.

The price is intriguing. I don't really need another canoe, and I'm not a huge Wenonah fan but it could make a nice big water boat. Thoughts?

Upon further research it seems that it probably is a Sundowner as they did come with sliding bucket seats in years past but only in 17 or 18 and not 17.5 (that I can see).

Anyway I'm confused but most likely I'm not interested. I've paddled low rocker Wenonahs and not liked them.

Is it Royalex?

It's interesting that Wenonah has tried to address the adventure racing market.. some of who are amateurs and some of the courses rocky with a relatively bombproof and relatively narrow max widths craft in Royalex. Most dedicated (amateur and pro) racers have gone for the lighter and more slender entry lines of composites.

I have too paddled supposed low rocker Wenonahs and have the same impressions as you. Sometimes.. BUT.. the Odyssey is touted as no rocker and is a magnificent tandem expedition boat. For no advertised rocker she is a dream; highly maneuverable in class 2. (that is for an 18.5 foot long boat!) Don't try to look for it. It was discontinued a few years ago.
The Sundowner may have maneuverabilty in waves yet speed on flat. I have not paddled one.

Wenonah canoes are revered in the Midwest. I find them usually too sticky, particularly under load, but I also find that they are not as straight keeled and non rockered as they advertise. We don't see a heck of alot of them here though. It pays to grab a friend and each of you pull on a string along the bottom of the upturned potential sale canoe. There may be more curve than you expect. Yes that means go there.

Rocker is a designers convention and there is no universal measurement. Bring pencil and wood block. DY will explain it to you. I will PM both of their email addresses to you if you have further questions.

What I dislike the most about Wenonahs..and , being from New England, my experience is limited to Argosy, MN II, Odyssey, Aurora, Canak, Vagabond, Prism is, their single purpose market. In the overall scheme of things, paddler skill may be low in addressing the mass market. I do acnnowledge the racing backbground. IIn some ways Wenonah as been quite effective in tranlating the straight tracking attributes to the occasional use mass market

Also if you tend to "knee steer" canoes and use an outside heeled carved turn , I don't find most Wenonah canoes the best. Some of the seats make knee steering difficult.

No it is some sort of composite, or at least looks it from the pics. I know the current sundowner is only available in Royalex. It isn't one that I tried though.

I emailed the seller just to get some more info. They have something incorrect in the ad. Either way if it was a good big water boat I might be interested. I'm actually got my eye peeled for a royalex rock beater but not many to be found in designs I like. I've seen a few Wenonah Adirondacks, some at decent prices, but I don't like that hull.

I've seen a few Old Town Discovery's for around $300-$400... I don't know though. I also found this Wenonah unknown fiberglass beater. I wish I knew more about how easy the Wenonahs are to repair, because that might be a good rock boat.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/3840616661.html

I'm guessing that is an Aurora actually. Beam is about right, shape looks similar. I've paddled them and I like their maneuverability and stability. Wasn't very fast though. That was the tradeoff I recall.

Last edited:
Got some info on the first one. From the serial it seems to be an 83 Sundowner in Fiberglass. I believe it is a 17'. He measured it somewhere, most likely across the top to get the 17' 6". Personally I'm not interested in that hull and not for that price.

The second is a 16' Fisherman, which according to some research is very similar to the current Adirondack... bwahh bwahh

Last edited:
Back