• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Upper Saranac to Green Pond Carry?

Reaction score
I was looking at the ADK Paddler's map, North, planning a route and saw that there is a carry from Rt 30 into Green Pond but there's no carry from Upper Saranac Lake TO Rt 30.
Is there an unofficial carry there or is it closed off due to private property?Upper_Saranac_Lake_to Green Pd.jpg

Looking at Google Earth there is a house complex over the brown square.. The Boat Launch at Saranac Inn is public with parking. This according to the ADK Paddlers Guide 2008 edition

I have been by there at least three times each summer and never noticed alas.

Correction I saw the Green Pond Public Access in the ADK Paddler's Guide map pg56 and doing the 'Street View' w/Google I can see water to the East of Rt 30 and no houses.

The area where your red rectangle is between Back Bay and Green Pond is private. Officially, you would take out at the state boat ramp and carry to the Green pond carry off Rt. 30 which is across from the road to the right just below your red rectangle. You'd be walking through someone's yard is you did what appears to be the short carry there. My camp is shown on the above map just to the right of where it says "Saranac Inn", heading up again the 21'st to 23'rd.

John M

I carried from Green Pond to Upper Saranac on a day trip with my 22' outrigger canoe on my shoulder. I had no map and couldn't find a state carry route, so I ended up with a quick trespass across private property. I would have asked permission, but the nearest house seemed to be closed for the season, so I just quickly launched.

Back