• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Upper Missouri River, Central Montana

G

Highly highly recommended

We have located the middle of nowhere

Last edited:
Are you ready for 4 days, 3 nights not seeing another person? Yeah!!

Great Pics! Would love to see more of this trip. I need to go to MT someday.

TR..please...it's on the bucket list!

It very well should be!! We've been 2 of the last 3 years(last year wife broke hand longboarding)

I'll post pics as I get them uploaded but get on the net with my phone and its difficult to type a lot. I will answer any questions though!!

This trip is along the Lewis & Clarke National Monument so the landscape looks pretty much how it did
when they came through. You really feel like you're alone in the world under that big Montana sky

Parked for the night, day 2

We go with another couple and didn't have room on our car for two canoes. We rented from Adventure Bound Outfitters and highly recommend!!
It's really slick- they drop you off with your canoes then drive your car to the end. When you get to the end, just park canoes along fence, hop in car and head home- sweet!!

Plenty of exploration to do along river

I would like to start at Ft Benton and end at Kipp though. Not going to spend only three days on river after all that driving

A photographic tangent.

If you like levitation photography:

image_zps7ebb4a3f.jpg

image_zps17e09972.jpg

You may appreciate the brilliant levitation photography of yowayowa.

Paddled starting from Coal Banks Landing and took out at the first paved road 4 days later on the 200th anniversary of L & Cs up river expedition. We attempted to camp at the same location on the same date for one of our nights. Absolutely a great easy paddle. For example, within the first hour my son and I were on the river, a big deer jumped into the river and swam across the river 150 feet in front of our canoe like we were not even there!

Soh Crates, is mid May too early to run? We would like to do the stretch from Ft Benton to Kipps Rec area mid May. We are going to the Green ( Utah)first. Thinking about the 14th to 23rd for the Missouri. Once we drive to the Green another 800 miles to Montana does not seem to be a big deal.

What are the temps and the rain amounts like at that time of the year?

Back