• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Unusual source for a new 60L blue barrel

Reaction score
OK, as a retired (reformed?) home builder and contractor I sometimes spot oddball things that catch my eye. A case in point: I stumbled on this while looking for something utterly unrelated on homedepot.com.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kraft-Tool-Co-15-Gal-Mixing-Barrel-with-Lid-GG601/205323264

I can't speak to whether our Canadian brethren can get one but for the folks in the USA, a new 60L barrel with no outrageous shipping and straight to you door for a bit over $50 USD seems a pretty good deal.

Best regards to all,

Lance

I'm glad it helped someone. I stumbled on it so other than posting it I sure won't claim any credit for finding it. I was actually looking for wine barrel stave project ideas and trying fairly random searches for unusual project ideas and I suppose the fact I was shopping at HD.com for some electrical supplies yesterday caused these to pop up a page or two into the results of a search.

Lance

Reviews say it was not waterproof/ air tight. Best to check it out fully.

Thanks, Dan

I wonder if they didn't spring for the fitted conformal gasket due to cost and the intended use? I'd like to get a look at one to see what the deal is but I have five 60L barrels now. Some, most really, of my used barrels had leaking gaskets when I got them and I used neoprene tubing from McMaster-Carr to fix them but that would be a PITA for a new barrel. Still cheaper than Recreational Barrel Works but a PITA.

I made loops of this with the ends cemented together....

https://www.mcmaster.com/2029N11/

Lance

I picked up a 30 liter barrel with recessed handles from US Plastics a month or so ago on my way home from Detroit. It's about 45 minutes North of my house....you can see it from I-75. They have a large show/sales room, I could have spent a fortune in there......plastic containers of all shapes & sizes....

Mike

My 60L barrel arrived today from HD. It looks like any other barrel I've seen and there's no reason to believe it's not watertight.

Thanks for the link Lance

That's good. I was hoping that I hadn't gotten you into a not so good good deal. I noted that there were mixed no and yes answers to the question about waterproofness. And I would note that lots of research indicates that unhappy customers are far, far more likely to post a complaint than satisfied customers post that it di what they expected it to.

Best regards to all,

Lance

The barrels I've bought in the past were from Discount stores and have worked great for many years. Everything looks good in this one. It has a large gasket with a solid metal clamp ring. I'd buy another one if I needed it

I'm not going to torture test it to find out.

Back