• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Unforeseen shop hazards

Reaction score
The Hereford Zone along the Mason-Dixon Line
I picked up a bag of brushes this morning to do some spar urethane work and one finger was suddenly pained. I looked to see what the problem was, and found an angry bee on my fingertip.

He is currently feeling no pain, stomped flat on the shop floor. Fortunately I am not allergic, and that finger is already badly swollen joint arthritic; I’ll see if bee venom is a home remedy.

I'm currently fighting the mice. Never had an issue and then I was hardly in the shop at all for a few months this summer and they moved in. There were large piles of cutoffs next to the chop and table saws which they were apparently making good use of. Trapped half a dozen in a few days and now nothing in the last week but the way Sadie keeps monitoring certain areas I know there are still some around.

Alan

I have no shop . . . but have lots of bees and mice around and in my house. Thus, there are deep philosophical and biological questions of cause and effect infiltrating this topic.

My mother would have my father bring in one of his honey bees periodically, to sting her on the back of her hands. She did this to avoid arthritis. Secretly I think my dad enjoyed helping with the task. My mother lived into her late nineties, was never bothered arthritis.
I like my father, grandfather & great grandfather have always kept a couple of hives of honey bee’s. I, like my forefathers always worked with them bare handed, even the most gentle of bee keepers will get stung periodically. I have now exceeded by five years the proverbial “three score and ten” with no joint pains associated with arthritis. So keep on getting stung if you are not susceptible to anaphylactic shock.

Back