• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Tie-downs for Transport

Rope, I don't care for the hum of straps.

I've never heard mine hum. They used to on an old setup I had where the straps had a fairly long span between the boat and attachment point. A twist or two would stop the humming.

Alan

I use cam straps over the canoe to my rack bars. I use rope from the stem to a 1" webbing loop above each front wheel well under the hood and rope to my trailer hitch. I don't use the ropes if I'm only going a short distance and it's not too windy.

they hum because they don't know the words! Seriously, 2 cam straps from the bars over the boat, 2 bungee ball cords from the front thwart to the front roof bar, and 2 diagonal ropes to nylon under hood straps tied with truckers hitches. OK overkill, but semis passing don't phase it.
Turtle

For local travel I use 1" cam straps front and back, and a 1" cam strap pigtail around the front thwart and front cross-bar. For highway trips, I double up on the front strap and I tie the front painter to a Thule under-the-hood strap.

Load stops( gunwale brackets). 2 cam belly straps. Bow line of rope with truckers hitch.. I am against bungees but as Turtle has pointed out a use I am not familiar with ( and I know he schleps a lot as I do) I would like a pic! I do bowlines to under hood poly loops as well

Never have used rope for belly straps. I rather like two lines across the boat for each strap but there are quick tie advantages to rope too. Nothing has ever sang on my trucks. Its not about the straps , per se, its about your particular vehicles air flow.

I use the same set of Yakima racks that I have had for over twenty years. Sometimes the towers and feet must change but we don't change vehicles often

Long ago I had foam blocks and what a misery they were if they shifted and you had to recinch on the 401 shoulder( my most hated highway in North America)

If the crosswinds are heavy and high as in the open Plains, we add a stern line per boat.

I had a rack tower break on me in the High Plains of Colorado and the boat because it was attached to the car in two places pretty much stayed put though it was too wobbly to continue on before we got a new tower. We tied the canoe to a steer stockyard fence while we got a new tower. Gave the cattle something to look at while they awaited their fate I am glad my canoe was tied to the rack and also to the car.

Last edited:
Ok, let me explain. I wrap a short bungeeball strap around the front thwart and front rack bar on each side. It keeps the canoe secure fore and aft. I keep them wrapped on the front thwart and secure paddles and such while paddling. They also are the first thing I secure as soon as I rack the boat to keep it from sliding or blowing off when I bend down the get the strap when a wind gust comes at the same time. I have seen lite canoes do that-not pretty on a paved parking area. yes I always use gunnel brackets too.
Turtle

I like the idea of gunwale brackets. I keep meaning to make a set but always seem to forget until I'm on a long road trip with a stiff crosswind. My current rack has an 8' bar spread so it's not as much of an issue anymore but it would be nice to have the brackets to halt the side to side movement so I didn't have to cinch quite as hard.

Alan

Ratchet straps on the belly(s), no twist. If there is a twist they sing, not hum. They hook into eye bolts on the 2x4's which stop sideways movement much like gunwale brackets. 2x4's mount to the factory rack rails with square U-bolts. Angled ropes off the bow always, may add under hood attachment points this year but normally go to the through bumper tow hooks. One rope on the stern.

Last edited:
Ho and for anything that is longer than that put in at the end of our street, I tie the front to!!!

Ratchet straps on the belly(s), no twist..

Its common to see newbies over ratchet . Your tips for not doing that? We hear all the time to not use ratchet straps but for some that is all they have. Some tips on when enough is enough?

Depends on which canoes and which vehicle. Generally haul with the truck using a Trac Rac. Had to make an extension to make it wide enough for 2 canoes and high enough to keep the bow (or stern) off the cab. Cam buckle straps front and rear of each canoe to the top rail and then ratchet straps over the canoes to the tie downs in the bed of the truck. Just need to be sure they are not too tight. Then ropes from the bow and stern carry handles to the top rack rails. Don't use any tie downs to the front or back of the truck. The Liberty and Grand Cherokee have factory racks and I just use 2x4's accross the top and cam buckle straps . I do tie down to the front and back. Rarely have issues with singing or humming.

Rope over the belly tied to each bar. Truckers hitch. I have brackets on my racks to stop the side-to-side movement. If I'm going on a highway for more than 10 minutes I'll add a safety rope tied to the foremost thwart and connected to the front bar as a back up.

Its common to see newbies over ratchet . Your tips for not doing that? We hear all the time to not use ratchet straps but for some that is all they have. Some tips on when enough is enough?
Go until it sounds expensive, then back off half an inch. ;)

Last edited:
Back