• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

The Northwoodsman

Reaction score
I see Marten has posted recently, and I'd like to bring to light some of his Youtube videos, for those who aren't aware of them !
I have thoroughly enjoyed Martins work, and I'm envious of his vigor, also his Minnesota cabin !
This time of year is a good time to set back and enjoy some great videos !
Here is a link to Martin's videos .

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6T7_Zc40Ls1VOqqknNjm-A

Jim

I too liked the link that Robin posted, after reading some of Martins stories I realized that his cabin in the Big Bog Country is close to where I grew up back in the late 40's to early 60's. Spent a bit of time Googling around the Beltrami Island today. I cut pulp back in the day to help the GI Bill get me through college in the Faunce area.
In one of Martin's stories he wrote about "Swedish Coffee" of all the Swede's I know none put egg in theirs, however most of the Finnish people I know do. I got out my Swedish Trangia kaffee pot and made up some egg coffee. It wasn't quite as good as I remembered. Maybe Martin will chime in the the brewing instructions.
I and many of my classmates grew up in houses that were at their core log homestead cabins like Martin's. The main room in our home was maybe 20X24 feet that was made by a Finnish homesteader with beautiful squared logs with dove tailed corners. We didn't know that until we started to take the building apart, we kept the cabin intact for a hunting camp until it was burned in what was maybe arson twenty years ago.
Thanks Martin for jogging my memory berry.
.......Birchy

Birchy,
Faunce is where I have to park if the Range Road (Faunce Road on new maps) is not plowed. One old homestead still has some dovetailed walls standing. It is the only one I have seen built that way.

My friends are big on the Swedish coffee and one is downright particular about the process. Whether Ova Easy egg or raw egg the important part is just enough to moisten all the grounds before they are added to briskly boiling water. He then brings it back to a light boil for 1 minute. After 5 more minutes it is ready.

Back