• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Temperature for Fiberglassing

Pat

Reaction score
I planned to fiberglass the outside of my build this weekend. Now they are calling for 75 degree highs in the day and 45 at night. I can not heat my building. Should I wait for a warmer day?

I wouldn’t worry about it. If you start in the morning and the boat is in a building it will be fine.
I’ve on occasion placed some clip on lights under the canoe for just a little boost in heat. But as you described I wouldn’t worry.
Jim

The problems I note with colder temps, is it seems to slow the absorbsion of the resin into the cloth, and wood,

You will have to work the resin, to get it into the cloth, and the wood will likely look spotty. Over working the resin, will result in a milky looking resin.

I just finished glassing, a wood insert in a Kevlar I'm building. That is what I found.

Any prospects for warmer temps ?

Good luck !

Jim

If you are building in a non-heated work space, you can buy epoxy made for cooler temperatures.
It only takes one experience epoxy that won't set up to become sensitive to temperature.

Last edited:
I do what @Boatman53 does. Put a heat lamp in or under my part that I am working on. Also like @Jim Dodd it takes a little longer to soak in if it is cold. But if you warm your part and your resin it works good. But be careful and not get everything above the working temperature. Or you will have a mess on your hands.

As an update. It was about 80 -82 when I put the wet out on. By the time it had cured enought for the first fill coat it was around 70. The temp had dropped to about 60 when it was time for the second fill coat and dropping (2am). I was afraid to go for it so waited untill the next morning. I called RAKA and they said I was good to put on the next coat without sanding. I did keep a small heater near the boat all night. It had been about 15-16 hours since the last coat. Everything looks good except one spot about 1/8 circle that looks like the fiberglass may not have sealed to the wood. Not sure what I need to do there. Thanks for all the advise.IMG_2851[1884].jpg

Back