• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Tariffs may increase cost of Chinese-made outdoor gear

Reaction score
Kayaks, footwear and clothing have been mentioned previously as the ongoing US-China trade war escalates... prices 25% higher might be possible. I've included a snip on down feathers for jackets, but IMHO, a much more serious impact might happen with Victoria's Secret lingerie which it seems, is made in China. Those VS models already look like they're starving and near death and this certainly won't help on the runway. OTOH, they might protest the tariffs by refusing to wear anything and everything,

Whether you’re a college student, a parent, an entrepreneur, an outdoor enthusiast or a retiree, the tariffs could ultimately affect the products you covet.

Down Bedding (and Jackets)

“Feathers in significant quantities will come from China because that is where this byproduct is produced. There are no other countries in the world that have the supply needed to satisfy the demand of the U.S. market. A tariff on feathers from China will cause an increase in cost to the U.S. consumer.”

— Written statement provided to the trade representative by the American Down and Feather Council

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/business/economy/trump-china-tariffs-consumers.html

ill happily run around Vigur Island gathering down from
eider nests
BTW the island is for sale
its in Iceland
while eiderdown is $2000 a lb its hard work gathering snd especially cleaning the down
the ducks nest in the grass
But the cleaning machinery is there

Last edited:
300 retailers send protest letter to Washington, saying that the price hikes resulting from tariffs will be bad for business and shoppers... this includes LL Bean, so outdoor gear and clothes are probably included. Some retail experts saying to get the Christmas shopping done now, before prices go up, and they haven't even taken down the Halloween decorations yet.

At least here in Ontario our genius premier Doug Ford has had the foresight to bring in buck-a-beer policy, so shoppers can get good and impaired to reduce the pain in the wallet and pass the savings on to paying higher costs of everything else.

Target is 'deeply troubled' over Trump's tariffs, says prices to rise on everything from playpens to backpacks, as retailers push back

Target is among the hundreds of retailers and other companies pushing back against the new tariffs.

U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer has received almost 6,200 comment letters on the tariffs so far.

A coalition of roughly 300 retailers — including Kohl's, L.L. Bean, the Gap, Macy's and Under Armour — signed on to a letter strongly opposing the tariffs.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/21/targ...push-back.html

Walmart and other retailers will soon hike prices due to tariffs: Ex-Walmart US CEO

Walmart will start to hike prices soon in response to the escalating trade war between the U.S. and China, former Walmart U.S. CEO Bill Simon predicts.

"So far, Walmart's been able to absorb a lot of the pricing, and the question is how long can they do that," he says.

Walmart is among hundreds of companies pushing back against Trump's tariffs

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/21/walm...rt-us-ceo.html

Last edited:
Too far away for me to understand it... if retailers are using this as an excuse to gouge, their profits should be increasing in their financial reports. OTOH, profits will drop if the tariffs are bad for business. That won't show up for a while in the quarterly or annual financial statements.

Gotta wait and see, I guess... dollar stores like Dollarama here in Canada might take a hit.

PS... there are politics in this but gear and what people pay for gear is also a part of it. No big deal, If this info on prices isn't wanted, I'll delete.

Last edited:
Maybe the tariffs will encourage imports directly to Canada instead of coming in to the USA to distributor #1, being shipped to distributor #2 in Toronto/Vancouver and then out to retailers, one of the reasons we already pay so much for gear in Canada.

Life is all politics (with a small p) at one level or another!

I wondered and doubted any actual tripping gear might be made in China, until I was perusing the MEC tents for sale. Oops. That ultralight 3-person tent I was ogling is made in you know where.
Politics touches us in our lives whether we want it to or not. And I really get why it's so nice not to be hassled by it on a wonderful site like this, but I think there are times when we can dance around it. I'm not entirely sure when and where that is.
I have a friend who loves everything in life to do with controversy and confrontation. For a Canadian he sure gets his thrills from American politics. Every single freaking time we hang out he wants to fill me in on the latest. The guy has become a bore. Last year we exchanged books to read. He loaned me an alt-right American politics tome. I only managed to get half way by Christmas when I tossed it aside. I'd loaned him a book otoh about Provencal culture. The other evening at a bbq we exchanged books to read yet again. He loaned me one about a sealing disaster. I had a choice between that or a book about African genocide. I loaned him one about ranching out west in the 30's. I'm seeing a pattern here. He prefers doom and gloom, while I yearn for sunnier skies. Probably not much of that in politics. Ha.
We may have to stop exchanging books.
I'm in a wait and see position on prices. I usually check labels of origin on everything, food and whatever, and have a priority a) local, closely followed by b) Canadian, followed by c) USA, and last d) wherever else. I'll see where the prices go but I'm not gonna worry. I have better things to read about.

I also wish I could ignore the role politics played in my daily life. I wish that at most the role could be limited to paying a bit more for for imported goods. Even tripping into the wilderness to escape the consequenses has become a less certain endeavor.

And not to forget that the costs are not only placed upon the goods. The costs of the tools, packaging and other business related goods could potentially rise and, while I would try to buy local, as a small manufacturer of outdoor gear I am sometimes just grateful that I can find an item at all let alone worry where it has come from.

I also wish I could ignore the role politics played in my daily life. I wish that at most the role could be limited to paying a bit more for for imported goods. Even tripping into the wilderness to escape the consequenses has become a less certain endeavor.

I am concerned about the consequences of tariffs, on gear and vehicles and, more specifically, on friend’s retail and manufacturing and farming livelihoods.

I recognize that the issue may impact the cost of gear made in China (or Canada, or the EU or . . . .), and that is a canoe tripping issue; less for me because I do not need to buy any more gear, and would buy first from a small family business, or DIY my own.

But, with the increasing tribal divide in today’s politics, I do not want to see lines drawn and sides taken in this community of trippers, readily sharing their tales and knowledge.

PC180149 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I very seldom post anything here but I'm just gonna say.... If you live and work in most of the European Union, the markets are closed to support good wages and lifestyles. How many of us have 2 months holiday right from the start let alone employment for life(working age so to speak) We pay alot for our medical benefits (sorry Mike , unless we live off the taxes of others even though we pay them too.) We need to realize that we here in the U.S. are supporting the world in defense of supposed enemys. Couldn't those costs be better spent towords educating our kids? Would any of us sit idle if our paychecks went down by another 1/3rd like the rest of Europe for our health care? Fortunately, for my family, we've always had good healthcarebenefits but tommorrow might just bring a change as Corporate America keeps looking to outsource everything. My Rant! Coronaboy

Last edited:
Obscene Poster... sorry, couldn't resist.

I wish people would lighten up... discussions on why prices are going up (and they seem to be going up for some reason) might be informative. Even so,I think I'm going to delete this thread if I can since it's really turning out to be not worth it.

I hope China does import more directly to Canada to avoid US tariffs. You should not have to pay more for failed policies of the US.

Back