• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Spring Trout

Reaction score
Was able to visit a couple of New York's prettiest rivers and streams this Spring. With water levels high, it was a great year to cast a line into running water. I've been meaning to shares these photos earlier but have been busy catching up on chores.

One trip took me on a 3mile hike up a small Catskill hill. Once on top, I set up camp, then hiked another mile down the other side to a small brook. Bushwacking was easy in mid April...very few leaves on trees and bushes. Too early for blackflies and mosquitos were no where to be found either. Not many things more enjoyable than searching for deep cold pools along a mountain stream. What brought me to this spot in the first place was a 30 or 40 foot waterfall that exists a mile or two downstream of where I was "hunting." I wanted to see if trout existed upstream of such alluvial features. In addition to seeking firsthand knowledge, I started reading Nick Karas' "Brook Trout" in which he describes everything trout. (I noticed one significant error concerning the geologic time scale in his book but who am I to point the finger - what's 50 or 60 million years here or there in the grand scheme of things anyway haha). I was told he shares evidence in his book for the existence of trout upstream of giant obstacles like waterfalls. In any case...they there. Finally found the right pool...free of strainers and low hanging branches, it was deep and clear. No bohemoths, but they there. Anything I cast usually got a hit. Pulled half a dozen out in 30min. All returned safely.

After breaking camp the next day, I drove south to another spot that I've been to at least a half dozen times trying to figure out where the trout are. A 2mile hike in with ticks every time but gorgeous enough for the scenery alone. For years I've only found smallmouth and perch but knew there were trout present. The experienced fisherman would've either caught trout the first time or never gone back ;). I walked upstream to a spot I never came to before with little time left before Sunset. I was standing on a large boulder casting to the opposite bank to another boulder with a large eddy behind it. I would cast and let my line drift downstream hoping for a bite. Well it finally came and my heart rate spiked! I prayed to Mother Nature as quickly as I could and asked her to make it a trout and not a smallmouth (unless it was five pounds or greater). She listened. A beautiful brown! I played him a little too long perhaps for when I tried to scoop him into the net, my line broke! I collapsed on the boulder face up in a combination of disbelief and satisfaction. I knew I had to come back. It was getting dark and I still had a 3hr drive ahead of me. Two weeks later, I'm back and nailed three of the strongest fish I ever caught. These weren't enourmous trout but they were some of the coolest fish I've ever seen. Their heads looked like the heads of tuna...built for speed, strong currents and hydrodynamic. A slightly hooked beak to boot. Put there by the DEC?...perhaps. Someone put the first Brown in these waters but were these naturally reproduced in the river or stocked this year? Going to leave that spot alone for a while now. Maybe go back when the colors change.

​Thx for reading.

Attachments

• photo7224.jpg
    photo7224.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7225.jpg
    photo7225.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7226.jpg
    photo7226.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Great story and photos... I've always been impressed with those colors that brook trout have... white, black, red, blue. And an indicator that the water quality is good, if the trout are natural and self-sustaining.

About that 40-foot waterfall and a barrier to trout movement above which trout possibly wouldn't be found (while in fact they were)... the story here in Ontario is that glacial meltwater and flooding 10,000 years ago allowed brook trout access to such areas, where they were able to survive and stay on despite the impassable barriers appearing after deep water flooding receded. Not a bad idea to keep in mind while fishing for them, these trout colonized these waters so long ago, when the glaciated world was much different and they're still here.

excellent post, a trout safari, poetic and informative. The fish are beautiful too, completely different look and vibe to the tropical and sub-tropical species I mess with, but both uniquely adapted to their environment, the magic of evolution.

Being somewhat of a fly fishing hack tho, I have to ask what's the setup here if you don't mind?

Thanks Pbutkovich. Always enjoyed reading the adventures of others' trout pursuits so I just wanted to give back a little haha.

Great story and photos... I've always been impressed with those colors that brook trout have... white, black, red, blue. And an indicator that the water quality is good, if the trout are natural and self-sustaining.

About that 40-foot waterfall and a barrier to trout movement above which trout possibly wouldn't be found (while in fact they were)... the story here in Ontario is that glacial meltwater and flooding 10,000 years ago allowed brook trout access to such areas, where they were able to survive and stay on despite the impassable barriers appearing after deep water flooding receded. Not a bad idea to keep in mind while fishing for them, these trout colonized these waters so long ago, when the glaciated world was much different and they're still here.

​You right Frozentripper, those colors are amazing. Just wish I could find bigger ones. Guess I have to start by visiting bigger bodies of water. Even the patterns on Browns and Rainbows are cool too...each one different, like fingerprints I guess.

​The story in Ontario is similar to the one Nick Karas describes...I think...haven't gotten to that chapter yet. But yeah, water levels being much higher back then allowed the trout to get above such obstacles. Really cool stuff!

excellent post, a trout safari, poetic and informative. The fish are beautiful too, completely different look and vibe to the tropical and sub-tropical species I mess with, but both uniquely adapted to their environment, the magic of evolution.

Being somewhat of a fly fishing hack tho, I have to ask what's the setup here if you don't mind?

​Thanks Deerfly...I haven't been able to find a fly fishing setup that I like yet (would really like to find a 5'6" or 6' 3wt rod) so all I use is a 5'6" foot ultralight rod with a 1000 series spinning reel...and tiny tiny jigs (1/64oz) or roostertails (1/24oz). For the larger fish I step it up to a 6' rod and a 2000 series reel. I did however go to a new Field and Stream store nearby yesterday and the salesman pointed out a fly rod and reel combo for $100...8'6" 4/5wt rod with line on the reel. What you think? I know it not going to be a top-of-the-line combo but it seems like a pretty inexpensive way to try out the sport. I think I'm going to go back today and pick it up.

Last edited:
I love those native brookies. I used a fly rod when I first started fishing for them but there were only a couple pools where a fly rod was practical. I switched to a light spinning outfit with a fly and splitshot to make it easier along the brushy creeks. I don't know if it's true but I had an old timer tell me to use a dark colored rod as apposed to a light one in the little creeks where you can sneak up to a hole and just lower your line in.

​Thanks Deerfly...I haven't been able to find a fly fishing setup that I like yet (would really like to find a 5'6" or 6' 3wt rod) so all I use is a 5'6" foot ultralight rod with a 1000 series spinning reel...and tiny tiny jigs (1/64oz) or roostertails (1/24oz). For the larger fish I step it up to a 6' rod and a 2000 series reel. I did however go to a new Field and Stream store nearby yesterday and the salesman pointed out a fly rod and reel combo for $100...8'6" 4/5wt rod with line on the reel. What you think? I know it not going to be a top-of-the-line combo but it seems like a pretty inexpensive way to try out the sport. I think I'm going to go back today and pick it up.

I don't know anything about the F&S outfit, it may be just fine, but generally those all-in-one outfits from any of the manufacturers are far from ideal and leave lots to be desired.

Anyway, if you want to go the inexpensive route, this is a very good setup for the money, however you may prefer the 376-4 rod and the next size smaller reel. I bought this particular setup as a "beater" rig for on foot or canoeing trips on small water and something to keep in the truck.

http://www.reelflyrod.com/ECHO-BASE-FLY-ROD-AND-OUTFITS_c868.htm (base 480-4 8' 4wt 4pcs)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017IMADZE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FPRVAHO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015YP5WBM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Note, I have "lined up" here (4wt fly rod with 5wt line). The reason for this is so I can cast larger deer hair bugs. Plus, the heavier line slows the rod down a bit and makes for a more leisurely casting stroke without over loading the rod. This may not matter to you though, if not get a 4wt line.

Again, you may want to downsize the outfit to a 3wt, but I can't speak to how that would measure up performance wise to the 4wt. Its not uncommon to have the same line of rods from the same manufacturer in adjacent weights that perform very differently than what one might expect and not necessarily in a good way. At least in this case we're not talking about much money as fly rods go and very small water fishing is not particularly demanding either.

While I am not a expert fly fisherman, I have taken some casting lessons from certified casting instructors, I also have been fly fishing for fifty some years. So, having said that, I would suggest a longer rod to start with as they are easier to cast (more forgiving) I have some short rods that I do not cast very well. I also have tried the 3 weights, they were fine except when there was even a slight breeze. My favorite rods are 8 footers, in 3 or 4 sections, in double taper 5 weight line. This is the all around best for me not to short and not to long. When I fish from a canoe I like a 10 foot, 5 weight with a weight forward 6. Because you are sitting down your casting be better with a longer fulcrum to give more distance. I would highly recommend getting the DVD by Mel Krieger The Essence of Fly Casting, This kindly old grand dad helped my casting improve very much after watching this DVD. I don't know a lot about brands of fly rods, but I have been happy with Temple Fork Outfitters rods that I have, a 10 footer and a 8.5 both five weights. I have as I have gotten older, slipped off the deep end into bamboo rods, I don't recommend them as a starting point, but like wood & canvas canoes they can be addicting, on a cold winters day without any open water for hundreds of miles, they are beautiful to look at, which evokes dreams of past and future fishing trips by canoe.
.........Birchy

You right lowangle al, that's why I'd like to find a shorter rod in the future but I hear they hard to find. The local streams by me are just as you describe...small, narrow with low hanging vegetation. I found a 4'6" spincast rod at Walmart for $19.99 and have been using that...it like a whip and it so much fun! I've paired it up with a Penn Battle 1000 series reel with 4lb test braid...got lucky on finding that 4lb test braid...haven't seen it anywhere since and it about to run out on my reel haha. The lightest I can find nowadays is 10lb...maybe 8. I believe in being as stealthy as possible too...adds to the fun and excitement!

​Deerfly...that 376-4 looks sweeeet for the money....and I like the shorter rod that's part of the combo. Wish I had found that earlier. Thanks for the recommendation. I assembled my new setup from Field and Stream and I think it going to be fine for the beginner like myself...just have to figure out how to use it now LOL. Can't wait!

​Good to know Boreal...the new rod I have is 8'6" so hopefully I get the knack of it sooner than later. I will definitely check out that DVD too...thanks.

Last edited:
No Title

Here's a photo I tried posting earlier...it one of the deep pools full of Brookies a mile or two above the big falls...

Attachments

• photo7286.jpg
    photo7286.jpg
    618.8 KB · Views: 0
that last pic borders on tenkara territory. :)

A 7'6" 3wt fly rod with a double taper line would be right at home there. Not too long, but long enough to roll cast and mend your way along without having to back cast constantly.

8'6" is a bit on the long side if that location is representative of where you fish mostly. Since you are pretty close to the fish the length of the rod waving about may spook the fish more than the potential aggravation of the trees getting in the way. But if you're like most of us you'll break the tip off soon enough and you'll have your shorter rod! But you'll need a 10wt line to get it to cast good again. :)

Back