• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Should tandem paddlers ever paddle on the same side?

I have tried "hit and switch" and it is probably more effective at going somewhere in a hurry. But
I think hit and switch requires more thought and skill than using correction strokes.
and I agree. When I go for a paddle, whether it is a short paddle around a small pond or doing a longer trip, I'm enjoying the world around me so I don't want to be constantly thinking about switching sides. I can use correction strokes pretty much without having to think about it. I switch sides when one side starts feeling tired or when my partner wants to switch. For me, hit and switch takes more thought and effort and that detracts from my paddling experience. If the weather is deteriorating and I need to get somewhere in a hurry then I hit and switch. At that point, safety becomes more important than my enjoyment of the surroundings. For me, hit and switch always feels like I'm in a rush and that's not the feeling I like to have when paddling. On the other hand, this feeling of having to concentrate and being in a rush could come because hit and switch takes more thought for me due of my lack of skill at doing it.

I have tried "hit and switch" and it is probably more effective at going somewhere in a hurry. But

and I agree. When I go for a paddle, whether it is a short paddle around a small pond or doing a longer trip, I'm enjoying the world around me so I don't want to be constantly thinking about switching sides. I can use correction strokes pretty much without having to think about it. I switch sides when one side starts feeling tired or when my partner wants to switch. For me, hit and switch takes more thought and effort and that detracts from my paddling experience. If the weather is deteriorating and I need to get somewhere in a hurry then I hit and switch. At that point, safety becomes more important than my enjoyment of the surroundings. For me, hit and switch always feels like I'm in a rush and that's not the feeling I like to have when paddling. On the other hand, this feeling of having to concentrate and being in a rush could come because hit and switch takes more thought for me due of my lack of skill at doing it.
Then you need to improve your technique. For me, sit and switch is pretty mindless and automatic, but I've been doing it for over 40 years, and I'm a fast boat guy. With proper technique, it is fast, efficient, and automatic. That, and heeling the boat over in solo, is the way I can maneuver really tight streams with a really straight-tracking boat (e.g. Wenonah Voyager, 17'6" with no rocker). I can go as slow as I want, or as fast as I'm possible--same thing--only effort (power and cadence) changes. Apart from racers, or those who have learned from racer-types, I rarely see paddlers make an efficient switch, and they lose ground with every switch. With good form, you don't do that. Racers can do 70 strokes per minute without losing a stroke. Of course that's not touring, but it shows what's possible with good form. On the contrary, I have a paddling friend that trips solely with a straight shaft. He has a very efficient correction stroke which I can't match in effectiveness. I spent probably 300 of the 400 miles on my last trip emulating his stroke. I didn't get there, but I improved. Being efficient in whatever stroke you use just adds to the enjoyment of paddling, otherwise you're just wasting energy which gets in the way of enjoying your outing.

Nothing keeps us from employing correction while using hit and switch primarily. Hit and switch for speed/headway, apply a little English as needed. Works with a bent shaft too. I don’t own a double blade, but a friend loaned me one once. It was a bit short but I see the appeal. Stable and fast.

Pretty stereotypical response. You don't probably know us in person. Now leaving... I paddle single , double , used to pole or try, can use a tree branch to paddle, do sit used to kneel and can keep a boat going straight without much correction
I am fed up with the "cool kids" double blade analogy.. Ecology has deterrnined style and equipment since before the white man. I live near the ocean, don't think I am anything other than a klutz and paddle on the ocean With a double blade. But don't tell me how I paddle. You don't really know.

and yes hit and switch is easy to do badly as is double blading and incredibly difficult to do well.
Not sure what your saying here. Is it stereotypical to say there are a number of folks on the forum who are adverse to sit and switch? I didn't mean to offend and I do know some in person and others only from their posts. I paddle solo, tandem, and occasionally pole. I didn't mention kayak paddles or cool kids. Kayak paddles have a place and are easy to pickup and use if minimal experience and are superior if fighting through surf or surfing waves. I prefer single blade but I kayaked for close to 30 years and am capable with either paddle.

Not sure where ecology plays into the selection of paddling craft and equipment. Maybe you meant natural selection instead of ecology.
A prime example is the beaver tails and otter tails were easy to make without glue and a sugar island shaped paddle wasnt feasible with technology for the times. Birch bark lead to cedar and canvas, aluminum, fiberglass, carbon fiber etc. Selection is also shaped by the environment too. Open water, river, lakes, portages etc.

I should say that sit and switch is not easy to do well and efficiently but once mastered it is efficient, fast, and feels as natural and easy as walking.

Ecology;the best tool suited to the lay of the land as it were.

I.e canoes that can be easily carried between small lakes with no defined trails: Adirondack pack canoe ( been around since 1880). Next,
larger, often established from trade days, canoe routes. With portages even if these are as in Wabakimi historical and hard to find if the blazed trees have fallen and no one has used the path in years Still you have to carry your tucker efficiently and a canoe is the best fit for the country.. Wooden canoes are ideal for spruce fir and birch country; repair materials at hand. When the ecology says no more spruce and birch of a suitable size, you have to use something else. WIllow is the last to give up.

Move to the treeless areas and you find skin on frame canoes and kayaks..Mostly large canoe like boats ( umiaks) and kayaks that were made with small wood strips and animal skin. Decks for large waves.. Fitted to the hunter ( kayaks fit like pants.. and for Inuit they were fitted like leotards!)

It still peeves me when I see rec kayaks on big water and the ocean. They do not fit into the ecology of the ocean and natural selection sometimes happens!. Just as annoying is the sea kayak being dragged on an Algonquin trail leaving a spoor of usually plastic.
There are exceptions as the tool most important is your head and that space between your ears...If you can portage your sea kayak without damaging any part of the land ,fine..If you can read the weather and the sea on the ocean go for it in your canoe;As long as you are aware of the difficulties you may face.

I have never sat much till recently but one of our FreeStyle classes was learning hit and switch in a highly rockered , but not whitewater canoe. It really shows a person how much his or her biomechanics are not symmetrical when you have a boat with 2.5 inches rocker in bow and stern.

Cedar and canvas was developed out of a need to mass produce lots of canoes.. Perhaps a selection of sorts as birchbark is labor intensive and the Peterborough wood boats needed very good craftsmanship..Not so much for the wood canvas utility canoe ( though better grades were offered of course)

Back