• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Shingle Shanty Portage

Reaction score
Question for those that have done the trip both ways - I have only canoed the private land when it opened up.

What is the rough time estimate to canoe the private land vs the .8 mile port?

What condition is the .8 mile port trail in? Blow downs, mud, etc?

Are there any nice camping spots along the port?

Wheelable?

I would like to do the loop again before I get too much older.

Thanks!

Viking

If you google your topic you'll find an article from the Adirondack Almanac regarding the lawsuit over paddlers' rights. I corresponded briefly with Phil Brown last summer and there had been no progress. I sent him the info I had on a similar lawsuit here in Florida.

I was last there about 10 years ago. The portage was in very good shape. It is a climb up onto a ridge and then follow the ridge down to Shanty Brook. There were not good campsites on either end of the portage but the ridge was beautiful and if you carried water up, it would be a lovely place to camp.

Were I to do it again, I'd paddle not portage. It is a quick paddle around. There are game cameras posted to catch trespassers, but I would camouflage my canoe and wear a dark balaclava. Just kidding. ;) I'm waiting for the courts to come out on the right side. :)

Erica

Thank you for,the feedback.

I do not want to do the portage but in the event the issue remains tangled up in the courts I may not have a choice. Racing to beat the age clock!

Thanks again!

I don't recall the carry being too bad. I do remember loth of beaver dams o shanty. maybe a compensation for doing the carry is missing the dams?
Call it a carry or the ADK's spirits won't bless you.

Back