• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Selling homemade canoes

Reaction score
Ive been trying to sell a few of my stripper canoes and kayaks due to some unfourtanant life events over the last year with little to no luck. I Thought you guys might have some insight. Ive been advertising on Craigslist mainly and asking 1250 to 1500 for a canoe, and a bit more for a kayak. I sold one for 1000, but cant' seem to get any interest in any others. Is this a reasonable asking price, and do you guys have a hard time selling them? Im not looking to get rich, but need to get rid of some stuff to gain some $.

I think there are only handful of people out there that can make good money selling homemade wood boats. Their names are well known and they do stellar work. People consider it a badge of honor to own one of their boats.

I think there is a very limited number of people who want a wood strip canoe or kayak. And from that limited number even fewer want to buy one. Most probably want to build their own. And the few that do want to buy one probably want to pick what they want and have it custom built for them; not buy used from someone they don't know and whose skill level is unknown.

I don't know where you're located but I see lots of cedar strip canoes for sale on Minneapolis Craigslist. Many have high prices but they also seem to be listed repeatedly. I don't know what they're actually selling for. There seems to be more available than the market can handle.

Alan

I think there is a very limited number of people who want a wood strip canoe or kayak. And from that limited number even fewer want to buy one. Most probably want to build their own. And the few that do want to buy one probably want to pick what they want and have it custom built for them; not buy used from someone they don't know and whose skill level is unknown.

I agree with all these points made by Alan. I've been paddling a long time all over the USA and some in Canada and only rarely have I ever seen a strip canoe, and most of them had been built by the owners.

There are a lot of experienced and beginning strip builders on this site, but I think the concentration here is not representative of the market in general. Although I admire the aesthetics of an attractive strip build, I wouldn't pay near as much as I would for a used carbon-Kevlar hull in good shape, which I can find in the $1250-$1500 price range.

Your best teacher on this subject is probably your experience.

I never built canoes to get rich ! Or really even make money ! I built them to satisfy myself !

Helped a friend build a Wee Lassie ll, he did an excellent job on it. He sold it at the Minnesota Mid West Mtn Auction. for $400, I think he walked away with $350! At minimum, he should have gotten $ 600-$700 for it, in my view !

Not a money making venture , unless you can find the right market !

Jim.

I've sold many strippers through the years, as well as given some as gifts and donating some to non-profits.
It generally takes much longer to sell a home built, since the masses are leery of a builders' skills and too many folks believe that a wood boat is fragile.
As mentioned above, a builder with a known reputation can sell their boats at a premium. Unknown builders can get their materials cost back, plus a little more if they're lucky.

A few photos of the boats in action, so to speak, will spark more interest than a photo of the boat on the lawn. Also, some brief explanation of the virtues of a stripper in the ad copy helps draw more attention. Definitely draw comparisons to production boats WRT weight and cost.

And lastly, there are many non-profits that will eagerly raffle or auction off your boats and provide you with the proper certification so that you can claim a tax deduction. Depending on your income level and other deductions, this could be extremely beneficial to your bottom line. I have personally been able to deduct $3,000 from my income, on more than one occasion...again, depending on your situation, this may be as good or better than a cash sale.

On a final note, just like Jim, I build boats to satisfy my own needs and whims. BUT, I prefer to have my hobbies be self supporting, even more so, generate a profit. A little patience, some creative thinking and a bit of luck will get you there!

I'd love to buy a handmade boat. As a potential buyer, I honestly have no idea how to find a handmade boat that would meet my needs.

I was in Maine, hiking on the Appalachian Trail with a friend and after we finished our hike, we were driving around a rural area looking for moose. We happened upon a house with a beautiful hand built canoe, with a for sale sign on it. My friend drooled over it... he said if he bought it, it was so beautiful he'd have to put it in his living room and he was pretty sure his wife would get really mad.

Your price is more than reasonable. Be patient.
We sell 10 - 12 boats a year at prices well in excess of that but marketing them sometimes feels like a full time job.
The only thing I'd say is that purchasers are as often as not making an emotional vs practical decision; buying the "story" vs the boat. In your marketing copy tell the story of the boat, the materials, etc ... you may find it resonates with folks.
I wonder too, if Craig's List might not be the best platform. Raise your prices maybe; give the hulls a fresh polish; and attend a boat show?

I'd love to buy a handmade boat. As a potential buyer, I honestly have no idea how to find a handmade boat that would meet my needs.

I was in Maine, hiking on the Appalachian Trail with a friend and after we finished our hike, we were driving around a rural area looking for moose. We happened upon a house with a beautiful hand built canoe, with a for sale sign on it. My friend drooled over it... he said if he bought it, it was so beautiful he'd have to put it in his living room and he was pretty sure his wife would get really mad.

Thats funny, because the only one I sold a guy hung up in a cabin for decoration.

thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Thats funny, because the only one I sold a guy hung up in a cabin for decoration.

thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I think that is your best Market ! Make them small enough to hang inside a Log home, or Cabin. Make them eye catching !
I've sold two that ended up that way !

Jim

We restore a lot of nice w/c canoes and I think we do a pretty good job. Selling them can be an ordeal. It really takes the right person to come along who wants it. Strippers are even tougher to sell as they dont have that history factor working for them. What you have is a niche market that is saturated. Perhaps try consigning them at a place that caters to canoeists? We use kijiji, this site, and MyCCR, in addition to a local store.
Its all a crap shoot. And they just will not hold the price for some reason. These days people with money spend large on new Kevlar, and everyone else wants a $500 boat. So the 1200-1500 stripper is not even on their radar. As you noted, $1000 and under seems to be the price on them. Heartbreaking to be sure but thats where its at.

Christy

Back