• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Sealskins socks

Reaction score
I read the previous comments but am starting a new thread. I bought some sealskins when they first came out but never figured out how to get them off when wet without ruining them. Have they gotten any better? Do the instructions still say not to pull on them when removing them? Do they stay dry when you overtop them?

I'm with “knees hurt” on this and pull them off wet every time i wear them. Im wearing them in a different capacity than most, i believe. Waters cold here in Alaska and waders are too heavy, clunky to walk in etc. I discovered Hydroskin’s last year and my dress for anything water these days looks like this.
thick sox and a pair of lite long john pants, Hydroskin pants then the Seal skins. On top a pair of technical pants suffice And water shoes. With this arrangement i’m comfortable and warm enough for long periods of time in and out of the water Yet i can go to the P. Office or what ever.

I got a pair of Sealskinz socks when they first came out more than 30 years ago. I don't recall having much problem removing them when wet, but I do recall preferring thin neoprene socks to them. I think it was because when the socks leaked in some water they didn't retain heat, whereas neoprene socks will do so. Maybe it was also simply because I was used to wearing neoprene socks, water shoes, booties and boots forever, and still do. I assume Sealskinz has improved its socks since my antiquarian pair.

I picked up my only pair of Sealskinz about 25 years ago. I was supposed to lead a May canoe trip in the Adirondacks and the water was still pretty cold. While they were always wet by the end of each day, I never had any problem pulling them off; and still don't. The only "negative" that's occurred over the years is the upper portion of each sock has stretched out but they still stay up and keep my wet feet warm. All and all, a great purchase that's still going strong.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back