• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Seal coat inside the hull?

Reaction score
After reading many recent threads about beautiful projects I am in a quandary. Some folks seal coat the inside of their builds, others do not. Please "sell" me on the pros and cons of both methods so I can attempt to make an intelligent decision.

Thank you, Mac

I did a seal coat on the outside, not the inside. May have been why I got some bubbles under the glass at the staple holes. On two builds I have not done seal coat on the inside. I don't see it as a weight savings issue, since I don't much care about saving a few ounces here or there. Others will chime in shortly I am sure.

Karin

I always seal the inside, my opinion (that's all it is) is that it prevents outgassing when you put the cloth on, and decreases the number of bubbles or imperfections in the cloth.

Here's my take. I've always seal coated. Promised myself I wouldn't do it next time, and always end up doing again !

If your hull is void of flaws, staple holes, and basic imperfections. Seal coat is not needed. I helped a friend glass his first canoe. He did an outstanding job of stapleless construction. ! We wet out the cloth, without a seal coat, and it was great !

Resin type may play a role in deciding also. Thin resin I would seal coat.

I always worried about staple holes weeping away resin, and outgassing. 20 oz of resin to seal coat a normal solo. I also believe it took less resin to wet the cloth out. So near a toss up.

It's really the builders choice !

Jim

Last edited:
I have no idea if it makes a difference or not. I don't seal coat mine. So far no problems.

Alan

Back