• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

School me on carbon Fibre paddles

I would be surprised if some of the big names weren't manufacturing some of their paddles in China. Everyone was excited when Ostrum announced that they would be back in business for their barrel harnesses and packs, but after I did some reading, seems they are having everything produced in China.

I'd be interested in trying a CF paddle I suppose. As much as I love my straight wooden tail for solo I do appreciate the lightness of being. I am rarely in a hurry whilst tripping. An oxymoron in my world. But more ease and less work while I go might add to the leisure pleasure.

I'd be interested in trying a CF paddle I suppose. As much as I love my straight wooden tail for solo I do appreciate the lightness of being. I am rarely in a hurry whilst tripping. An oxymoron in my world. But more ease and less work while I go might add to the leisure pleasure.

That Wakimika that Kona posted about would be good to have. At 15.5 oz. with that otter tail blade you could probably paddle all day.

The fit and finish on the Wakimika paddle is quite nice. I expect it is an import. Interesting company, small batch whitewater kayaks, so a bit of a strange offering. I'd guess one or more of the proprietors them spent a lot of time canoe tripping and wanted to have a carbon paddle, so they made them. I noticed they have 57 in stock, ready to cut to length. I wonder how many there were to start. It is a big blade. I'll grab measurements later for the record.

The only other carbon animal tail paddle I can find info on is the "wand," and there isn't much on that either. Presumably folks that prefer this shape of paddle also prefer wood?

Back