• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Roe Jan Creek canoe race (Germantown, NY)

Reaction score
Is anyone here planning to participate in the Roe Jan Creek Boat Club’s annual canoe race this coming Saturday, April 27? I’m interested in participating and am seeking either of the following:

A) Someone who already has a team or who plans to paddle solo and would be willing to shuttle cars with me (one of us leaves a car at the boat club and one at the put-in, and we give each other a ride to our boat/car at the start/end of the race).

B) Someone with a tandem (or larger) canoe who is looking for a teammate. I am happy to paddle either bow or stern, but NB: I am not fit enough to be competitive—I just want to enter the race for fun!

I am hoping/planning to stay after the race for the open house and boat auction as well.

If you’ll be there and are either willing to shuttle with me or want a paddling partner, please let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_9455.jpeg
    IMG_9455.jpeg
    287.7 KB · Views: 9
I just got informed yesterday that I'm being forced to work next Saturday from 4 to midnight or I would definitely do this with you. I haven't been on the water yet this year. I'm no racer (actually hate racing canoes - defeats the whole purpose of a canoe in my opinion, but to each their own) I would love to go for the ride of it. Not sure I could make it back to the Oneonta NY area by 4pm without making it a mad dash and to long of a day.

Last edited:
I just got informed yesterday that I'm being forced to work next Saturday from 4 to midnight or I would definitely do this with you. I haven't been on the water yet this year. I'm no racer (actually hate racing canoes - defeats the whole purpose of a canoe in my opinion, but to each their own) I would love to go for the ride of it. Not sure I could make it back to the Oneonta NY area by 4pm without making it a mad dash and to long of a day.
That is too bad! If something changes and you find yourself free, don't hesitate to reach out! But yeah, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't try to attend the race and make it back to Oneonta by 4pm—while it might hypothetically be doable, for me, it would make the experience more stressful than fun! I haven't done this race before, so I don't have a very good idea of how long to expect it to take; my understanding is that the Roe Jan has a pretty good current (lots of class I–II rapids), but even so, it's hard for me to imagine finishing the ~14-mile route in less than 3.5–4 hours.

! I haven't done this race before, so I don't have a very good idea of how long to expect it to take; my understanding is that the Roe Jan has a pretty good current (lots of class I–II rapids), but even so, it's hard for me to imagine finishing the ~14-mile route in less than 3.5–4 hours.

Two people paddling steady but not super hard should be able to easily average 4mph. If the current was 1 mph your total speed would be 5mph which means the race should be completed in a little under 3 hours.

Alan

Two people paddling steady but not super hard should be able to easily average 4mph. If the current was 1 mph your total speed would be 5mph which means the race should be completed in a little under 3 hours.

Alan
This is a good point! The time estimate I gave was based on my typical pace when solo paddling (2–3 mph + 1 mph for the river), but a tandem team can easily go faster than I do on my own.

Back