• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

Restored Bell Northstar

Reaction score
I'm almost finished with the Bell Northstar. I think my gunnels are a bit heavy as the canoe weighs just over 50lbs. My patches came out ok, nothing great, but strong. Paint is fair, looks good from 10 feet...:rolleyes:

DSC01492.JPG

DSC01490.JPG
DSC01487.JPG

Finished,

DSC01868.JPG

DSC01869.JPG

DSC01870.JPG

DSC01871.JPG

Look alright indeed!! If I was closer to you I would give you $100 CDN :rolleyes:.............

Wow is right! A little over 50 lbs is pretty good. I think that's where my Malicite is, and it carries nicely. I've long wanted to try a Northstar. Too bad you're so far away.

Nice Robin, that's a great restoration. I have a Northstar in KevLight layup and it is just under 39lbs. The black gold is probably around 45 lbs. off the factory floor. The new paint probably added weight. I have a black gold Rockstar that is a bit heavier than the Kevlight northstar. But the extra weight of Black gold is worth it. IMHO, the Northstar is one of the nicest paddling boats out there. I doubt I would ever give that one up.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your kind remarks.

UP, I sanded the hull with 150 on a palm sander. I then just used a quart of Interlux Brightside Polyurethane Black gloss with a small amount of 333 brushing reducer and I used a 4 inch foam brush. The first two of the 4 coats I tried using a flattening agent to see how a dull finish would look, but I stayed with the straight gloss for the last two coats.
I sanded with 150 the first coat
220 after the 2nd
scotch brite after the 3rd coat

Hey Robin, I'm thinking about using that in White for my Bell Rob Roy. How much did you use to cover that boat? It does look fantastic!

Robin, that is some of your best work yet. Really nice paint job too.

I know you are more of a wood and canvas guy, but is that one a keeper? If you sell it it should fetch a pretty penny.

I continue to be envious of your ability to find fixer uppers. The NorthStar is a very nice hull.

Robin: Someone linked your Craigslist ad as a heads up in the classifieds at BWCA.com and I see you have it listed as a kevlar canoe. In Bell canoe speak this would be a Black Gold layup and is much more desireable than the standard kevlar.

Alan

Hey Robin, I'm thinking about using that in White for my Bell Rob Roy. How much did you use to cover that boat? It does look fantastic!

I got 4 coats out of a quart, but I did use that dulling agent the first two, which stretched it a bit. I still have an inch left in the can...oops:eek:, an inch left in the container.

Robin, that is some of your best work yet. Really nice paint job too.

I know you are more of a wood and canvas guy, but is that one a keeper? If you sell it it should fetch a pretty penny.

I continue to be envious of your ability to find fixer uppers. The NorthStar is a very nice hull.

Thanks Mike, I like the way it came out, but apparently in the world of Kevlar canoes a repair is a death wish as far as value goes. I really don't want to keep the canoe, well I would like to keep it, but I need to move canoes to fund my adventures and old canoe restorations.
From the replies I have gotten on CL, people are very wary of a patch, especially a crack clear through on these canoes.

Robin: Someone linked your Craigslist ad as a heads up in the classifieds at BWCA.com and I see you have it listed as a kevlar canoe. In Bell canoe speak this would be a Black Gold layup and is much more desireable than the standard kevlar.

Alan

Thanks Allan, I will edit the add now. Good heads up and I appreciate you helping me out there.

Gotta love the Northstar hull. Have one in fiberlair. Best flat water canoe I have ever paddled for a day trip. Was wondering when this project was going to see the light of day. Looks good. You are an honest man show the patches the way you have in the add. Have wasted a few tanks of gas and a lot of time/emails on less honest canoe adds.

Last edited:
Thanks. I guess those patches leave alot to b desired, but they are solid. Ted Bell said they don't' get concerned with "aesthetics" when patching the canoe, just a get a good bond. Well, maybe something to that effect.

DougD gave me some helpful hints and if the canoe doesn't move I'll grind those patches off and replace them with better patches.

DougD gave me some helpful hints and if the canoe doesn't move I'll grind those patches off and replace them with better patches.

I'm guessing one hint was peel ply.

It only took me three years of nagging to get Doug to use peel ply. Well, nagging, and I sent him some.

Back