• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Recommended Fishing gear for Marshall-Kap

Reaction score
For those of you who have been there, what kind of fish did you catch and what kind of lures were you using? I plan to be there late July and into August.

I am no fisherperson but I was in Wabakimi with those that knew better. They advised lime yellow green fake worms. Despite I having NO idea what I was doing I caught walleye easily. Made me feel better as part of the four person team. They caught more knowing exactly where to put that lure but I did OK.

I like those little jigs with a rubber tail that Memaquay mentioned, black was my favorite. Just paddle out into the pool after a portage, work your way towards the rapids, cast from afar first. You can even just drop the jig over the side and bounce it off the bottom in the middle of the pool. Walleys are great eating fish, and us Americans are known to eat pike too, which are very tasty in those clean cool waters.
I also bring a couple of floating Rapalas and some leaders for pike, trolling in the lakes. A jaw spreader and maybe a single barbless tail hook instead of those trebles on the Rapalas will make life easier when you hook into a decent pike.
I like his advice,
He has some other decent fishing advice videos.

I like those little jigs with a rubber tail that Memaquay mentioned, black was my favorite. Just paddle out into the pool after a portage, work your way towards the rapids, cast from afar first. You can even just drop the jig over the side and bounce it off the bottom in the middle of the pool. Walleys are great eating fish, and us Americans are known to eat pike too, which are very tasty in those clean cool waters.
I also bring a couple of floating Rapalas and some leaders for pike, trolling in the lakes. A jaw spreader and maybe a single barbless tail hook instead of those trebles on the Rapalas will make life easier when you hook into a decent pike.
I like his advice,
He has some other decent fishing advice videos.
John is a member here, Jontario, I believe. He's probably too busy tripping and editing videos to post much. I enjoy his tripping videos, which contain a lot of fishing footage. I recommend checking them out, his channel is called "lost lakes" He does a lot of remote stuff, exploring seldom visited lakes which include finding and clearing old portages.

John is a member here, Jontario, I believe. He's probably too busy tripping and editing videos to post much. I enjoy his tripping videos, which contain a lot of fishing footage. I recommend checking them out, his channel is called "lost lakes" He does a lot of remote stuff, exploring seldom visited lakes which include finding and clearing old portages.
Maybe if we ref him (hey @Jontario, we're eating your nachos!) he'll see a notification. I'm pretty far from Ontario but I love the exploratory aspect of the channel.

Back