• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Rec Barrel Works - Expedition Canoe Pack

Reaction score
Hello folks,

If anyone has any experience with RBW's Expedition Pack - or any of their packs - and would be willing to share I would appreciate it.

Thank you

There has to be some out there - I see they are sold out until next year.
Looks like a nice pack for durability but I don't see much in the way of back support for it just being a portage pack and no waterproofing... There are many non air-tight packs out there in that price range that have better back support and comfort if you are looking for just a pack.
I always pack for the worst and that drawstring top would be the first thing that hit the water with my luck. I've been using Sealline packs for a few years now and can't see using anything else. I've yet to get anything wet with a "properly closed" Sealline pack. Most portage packs trade off back support due to waterproofing construction. This pack to me (for the price) seems like it should have a little more in the comfort (backpacking) since it is not an air-tight construction.

I do own a Rec. barrel pack and I Love it. Can't say enough good things about the barrel pack and its harness!

I like barrels and there are a lot of good reasons to use them. I have 3 all with good harnesses but I don't like the barrel digging in on my spine. One of the barrels is hooked up to an old wooden pack frame that rides great but the frame weighs 5 pounds so it only goes on trips with few carries.
Barrel.JPG

Thank you for the info folks!

CT, the padding was the first thing that caught my mind as well. I have a family trip coming up and was trying to get a pack for misc. stuff and didn't need all the bells and whistles on this one, so I agree with you.

Sweeper, similar situation here - 4 barrels - and wasn't thrilled to carry any of them. I had been working on that issue and finally ended up with an old Kelty pack that can hold my smallest, then my 30 can go in an older Woods Mason pack.

For the big 60's I purchased a hunting pack frame from Cabela's that has no bag, but has a shelf on the bottom that flips up and down. I can put the barrel on the shelf and load all manner of crap on the frame. Just like carrying in external frame pack with padded hip belt and straps, which you have already figured out!

Back