• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Quick review of Esquif Echo.

Reaction score
After a very long wait, I finally got my Esquif Echo.
Pretty happy with it overall. Reasonably fast, pretty stable, easy to keep going straight, yet turns without a lot of effort.
I let a fellow club member, who is an ACA instructor, take it out and she seemed very impressed with it.
On the negative side, it might be a tad wide for some people.
It also has very low sides. Might not be the best choice for a big lake on a windy day and you might need to leave the cooler home on a multiday river trip.
I was planning on using it for an upcoming overnight river trip, but it looks like I'll be paddling tandem, so I won't get to try it for that till next year.

Congrats! I test paddled one at Paddlefest in 2019 and quite liked it. It's only disadvantage was weight as one would have to accept with t-formax.

Congrats! I test paddled one at Paddlefest in 2019 and quite liked it. It's only disadvantage was weight as one would have to accept with t-formax.
Not really a BWCA boat. At least not at my age. I bought it, mostly, because I couldn't see taking my Northstar, North Wind down a rocky river.

I've been considering the Echo for a river boat due to the t-formex and that from what I've read you could sit or kneel in this boat unlike the NS Phoenix. My knees do not like the kneeling. I would gather a foot bar would install rather easy as well.

I've been considering the Echo for a river boat due to the t-formex and that from what I've read you could sit or kneel in this boat unlike the NS Phoenix. My knees do not like the kneeling. I would gather a foot bar would install rather easy as well.
If you have big feet, I'm not sure kneeling would work that well with this boat. I don't kneel, so I never tried it.
I'm undecided about installing foot braces. When paddling a loaded canoe I generally sit with my legs crossed, leaving more room for cargo.
If I installed braces, they'd be the kind you find on kayaks rather than the bar you typically see in canoes.
I think this boat will work great on rivers, but I think it's limited to class II, at most. Just not deep enough for rough water.

If you have big feet, I'm not sure kneeling would work that well with this boat. I don't kneel, so I never tried it.
I'm undecided about installing foot braces. When paddling a loaded canoe I generally sit with my legs crossed, leaving more room for cargo.
If I installed braces, they'd be the kind you find on kayaks rather than the bar you typically see in canoes.
I think this boat will work great on rivers, but I think it's limited to class II, at most. Just not deep enough for rough water.
Great insight, thank you! Not much of a WW guy but wouldn't mind a boat for rivers... Class ll is perfect for what I do.

I too recently purchased an Echo for mixed lakes-to-river trips that I do here in Maine. It's been quite a transition from paddling my Magic. However, I find that there is plenty of room to kneel barefoot or while wearing Crocs. I also find the boat incredibly stable. I took it out in heavy winds and white caps early this week and never felt out of control. The Echo is forcing me to learn a whole new set of paddling skills, and that's exactly why I got it.

Last edited:
I too recently purchased an Echo for mixed lakes-to-river trips that I do here in Maine.

Art, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please consider adding your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is in many ways a geographic sport. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

Back