• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Picked up a Curtis Nomad 2 weeks ago.

Reaction score
On June 25th I was in the western Finger Lakes here in NY buying a used Wenonah Prism in graphite. Being only 40 minutes from Hemlock Canoe I decided to stop in. Dave Curtis had for sale a 1987 Nomad in fiberglass and I could not resist, it followed me home. I'm not a fan of cane seats so I have Dave pull it and install a new conk seat for me, I kept the original. It was a fun day canoe shopping!Dave Curtis Hemlock Canoe June 25th 2022_01CollageLogo.jpgCurtis Canoe Hemlock Canoe June 26th 2022_01Logo.jpg

Last edited:
Nice boat - love that color. my FG Malecite is the same color inside and out. Have you had it on the water yet? is it different from the peregrine and if so how? do the plumb ends make any difference, esp in cutting thru rough water/waves?

BTW - the sage-colored peregrine on his rack is mine.

Nice boat - love that color. my FG Malecite is the same color inside and out. Have you had it on the water yet? is it different from the peregrine and if so how? do the plumb ends make any difference, esp in cutting thru rough water/waves?

BTW - the sage-colored peregrine on his rack is mine.
I've only had it out on my parents lake and yes there is a little difference between both boats. Dave told me that the Peregrine turns easier than the Nomad and he is right. However I feel the Nomad has just a bit more glide to it and it is a joy to paddle. Doing a quick overnight trip to the ADK this weekend aand want to bring it with me, however I struggle to kneel for long periods of time due to knee issues. And lastly I'm replacing the Peregrine in May with a litetech Eaglet. That sage Peregrine is sweet, when do you get it?

That's a nice looking Curtis you've got there. As kbobb said "love that color". This weekend I picked up an old 1985 Mad River Monarch in that color too.

I've not paddled a Nomad but did test out a Peregrine while at the Western Pennsylvania Solo Canoe Rendezvous this year and enjoyed it. It maneuvered nicely but I also felt it did not glide as well as I hoped. Compromises and tradeoffs keep us trying different boats though.

With your knee issues will you be keeping the Nomad as is or dropping the seat for a "sitting" canoe? I would be curious if the change in CG would affect the handling and if the comfort would be worth the change?

That's a nice looking Curtis you've got there. As kbobb said "love that color". This weekend I picked up an old 1985 Mad River Monarch in that color too.

I've not paddled a Nomad but did test out a Peregrine while at the Western Pennsylvania Solo Canoe Rendezvous this year and enjoyed it. It maneuvered nicely but I also felt it did not glide as well as I hoped. Compromises and tradeoffs keep us trying different boats though.

With your knee issues will you be keeping the Nomad as is or dropping the seat for a "sitting" canoe? I would be curious if the change in CG would affect the handling and if the comfort would be worth the change?
At first I wasn't too fond of the color (Indian Brown) however it has grown on me and I enjoy it. I also have the Peregrine and I agree the glide isn't what I had hoped for. My NW Solo has more glide to it, but let's be honest the Hemlock boats are sweet. As of now that Nomad will stay with the current drops. I've also paddled it sitting in current configuration, although not as stable as kneeling but not too bad. My Peregrine is currently setup for sitting with I believe 4" drops. I also have foot braces as well. I truly enjoy kneeling and I believe that Nomad handles great, it is truly a joy to paddle.

Congrats on picking up the Mad River. Sadly I have never paddled one, however I wouldn't mind picking up an Independence at some point.

At first I wasn't too fond of the color (Indian Brown) however it has grown on me and I enjoy it. I also have the Peregrine and I agree the glide isn't what I had hoped for. My NW Solo has more glide to it, but let's be honest the Hemlock boats are sweet. As of now that Nomad will stay with the current drops. I've also paddled it sitting in current configuration, although not as stable as kneeling but not too bad. My Peregrine is currently setup for sitting with I believe 4" drops. I also have foot braces as well. I truly enjoy kneeling and I believe that Nomad handles great, it is truly a joy to paddle.

Congrats on picking up the Mad River. Sadly I have never paddled one, however I wouldn't mind picking up an Independence at some point.
I felt the same way about the "Indian Brown", but now I think of it as a 'stealth boat' color. It was the same color as the water of the first river I paddled after getting it.
Yes, Hemlock boats are sweet. The quality shows through in so many areas.
Keep an eye open for that Independence. You never know what will pop up. When I found the Monarch, I wasn't looking for one. It was on my bucket list to try someday, but as they say "When opportunity knocks...". So many boats, so little time.

So many boats so little time, so much water so little time.. I'm on the hunt every day seeing what is out there and what people are selling. Like you mention I'm digging the "Indian Brown"...

Gotta agree with you guys on the Peregrine glide. not bad, not great but it works. Also have a couple minor cosmetic issues that Dave assures me will not affect function.

Glad you are liking the color of the Nomad - wish someone would offer that again.

Gotta agree with you guys on the Peregrine glide. not bad, not great but it works. Also have a couple minor cosmetic issues that Dave assures me will not affect function.

Glad you are liking the color of the Nomad - wish someone would offer that again.
You know I thought the same thing about offering that color.

I seem to sense a theme in your boat choices. That is a fine quiver of boats; I guessed wrong about Red Canoe being a Wild Fire, but you have one anyway.
Wait a minute, is that Wild Fire a Bell or a Colden?

1999 Bell WildFire White Gold layup Cherry outwales.
Needed a little TLC when I got, but it was a good price.
I am attempting to learn Freestyle with it. So far it has been a good teacher,
points out all of my mistakes.
Yes I like Bells. But We do not have as much choice of boats out west as you do back east.

1999 Bell WildFire White Gold layup Cherry outwales. Needed a little TLC when I got, but it was a good price. I am attempting to learn Freestyle with it. So far it has been a good teacher, points out all of my mistakes. Yes I like Bells. But We do not have as much choice of boats out west as you do back east.
Bell made some great boats. We don't see too much of a choice down here in the south either; mostly aluminum or poly canoes for hauling your beer down the river. Sometime you hear "Where's your motor?" as you paddle upstream. We're both not as lucky as the North-East or Upper Mid-West in having a canoe culture.
Colden used different graphics.. It is a Bell.
You're right, and I should have noticed the logo in the first picture even though it is just an "L" showing.

Back