• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Photos of Portage / Canoe Carry Signs

Totally agreed. We are "leave no trace behind/tread lightly/don't drive on the grass" outdoor-folk (to possibly the extreme) and also land-owners of properties in the sticks so have been on the flip side of this often. Theft, vandalism, litter, and some jerk even stole the Fruit Loops from the cabin pantry back in '78.

When growing up hunting/fishing my father would make the extra effort to find the far end of whichever lake so we would not bother anyone...often at the expense of bringing home game. When my brother would guide our canoe trips he would make certain our camp could not be seen from the lake so we would bushwhack a tent pad wherever the mosquitos were concentrated most.

The wild lands of Northern MN have been taken over by slobs (my take is more locals than tourists) and it makes me ill. I weep for the days of 14' aluminum boats with 6HP Johnson's (sans reverse), deer hunting when folk actually walked to their stands which were hand-built with scrap lumber and dragged their own deer with their legs (my grandpa did this into his 90's), 340cc snowmobiles without IFS, & most importantly no jet skis, or quads, or side-by-sides which are just a license to drink & drive.

I was just poking fun at that extreme sign.

Yeah, looking down from up high is different from looking up from the bottom of the hydraulic!

In my whitewater club 40 years ago, we used to call this visual dissonance "the New River effect." It related to the fact that the waves and hydraulics in the New River Gorge were always much bigger when you were in them than when you were scouting them from the high banks.

In Mason's picture of the Dubawnt River Canyon above, the rapids in the foreground don't look bad but there seems to be some steep white stuff in the upstream distance.

Back