• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Philip Edward Island circumnavigation August 8-11 2016

Reaction score
This is a 60 km or so trip just adjacent to Killarney Provincial Park. Now don't get ruffled feathers from pictures of kayak and double blade. It is a trip that with sane wise paddlers can be done nicely in a touring canoe.

We did this trip as a tack on to a Lake Superior Provincial Park coastal trip which is dicey for open canoes.. Another trip report. We met Mike Ranta there who is paddling across Canada by canoe. So that could be done with wiser saner paddlers could do that are not constrained by schedule.

But back to Philip Edward Island. Its status is currently Crown Land but it abuts Killarney Provincial Park and three of the campsites on the circuit are in Killarney. Point Grondine IR is another abutter. The status of PEI is unsettled. It may become a PP or it may satisfy a land swap between the Province of Ontario and the First Nations and become part of the Point Grondine Reserve owned by the Wikwemikong Nation. They already own the land between PEI and the French RIver PP.
http://www.wikwemikong.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=197&Itemid=135

Currently a crown land camping permit is required for Non Residents of Canada. But its just about impossible to get. Service Ontario Centers are the only sales points . Killarney Outfitters does not sell them. Sales points are in Sudbury(90 min) Massey 3 hours.. Parry Sound 2 hours. One way. One of my rants is that we as foreigners ought to pay. But make it more convenient! So I did what everyone seems to do. Not get a permit and just go. I was told no one has ever been checked.. The Killarney PP Office will point you to Service Ontario... And never on a Sunday.

If you like Canadian Shield and need rocks for a fix.. this is your short trip.. The south shore of PEI is shoaly and waves breaking off frequent shoals look more dangerous than they are. Travel is advised from west to east on the South Shore but for us the winds were 20-4) kph from the south during the whole trip.

There are occasional cottages especially a complex on Bateman Island and scattered camps along Collins Inlet
Map for reference

http://www.thekillarneymap.com/

PEI is on the bottom.

We launched at Chikashing Creek. Its in Killarney PP. Which is all to happy to divest you of sixty four dollars plus that harmonious tax. per day. To park.. Dont try to skate on this one
It was over 30 C and the place was mobbed..

We camped at West Desjardins Bay.. From the south the wind howled and the Foxes seemed to be impossible to reach.. So we never got there. But we did have sandhill cranes and scolding otters and.. the omnipresent crapting Canada Goose. And whenever we thought we found a campsite..was taken.. But we always did find a campsite. The Collins Inlet side had ...no occupied campsites but heck those are normal boreal campsites.
We fudged and gunkholed the next day before arriving at Moose Bay ( I think) all those rocks get confusing and it was so bright I couldnt confirm location on GPS. Plus it was wicked hot. Second day in virtually no clothes and second night in no sleeping bag.. Sheeseh these Canadians have to be heat tolerant!

Third day. some 23 km to Mill Lake.. Lovely beach campsite with shade. At this point we want shade, lemonade and a book and a beach chair and water to swim in. which we got. Now we see NO paddlers and the occasional overpowered rich mans cigarette boat ( you wont find them on the shoaly south side) and some fine -by -me fisherman in 14 foot Lunds.

Fourth day.. 16 km to out.. and a traffic jam at the put in /take out again. Worse than before as some drums were being pulled in.

We had a nice lunch in Killarney both pre and post trip but Herberts Fisheries staff needs to come here to learn not to overcook fish...
Or is whitefish just a dry fish?

Attachments

• photo5083.jpg
    photo5083.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo5084.jpg
    photo5084.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo5085.jpg
    photo5085.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo5086.jpg