• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Pass around Chestnut Canoe history book

Birchy, that hidden Frankin-esque “business” card makes a good bookmark.

To my booklover shame I habitually fold over page corners on my own books, but the Chestnut book was in such good condition I just couldn’t bring myself to do that.

Kim, nice to see old books and guides finding new homes.

Maybe someone can help me remember the name of an old (1960’s or early 70’s) guidebook.

IIRC, The Something Mt Club Guide to something Rivers, ie like “American Mountain Club Guide to New England Rivers” or somesuch. Relatively thick little book with cool fold out map pages.

Asking for a friend who lost his in a house fire.

Testing Doug’s memory, what was the title of that cool old river guide?

I know I know.. Me Me Me.. ( both hands raised waving wildly)

Kim, if you have a guess at the title, please do tell.

I found that ancient river guide at a rare and used bookstore on the Eastern shore, the Unicorn, and sent it along to Doug.

https://www.unicornbookshop.com/

Little did I know that it would be a top-five loss when his house burned; his sweat stained and battered tripping hat, old photos and journals, the cat, a peculiar crusty sock he hid stuffed behind his bureau, and that ancient guidebook made the top five

If you know the title to that that river guide I will endeavor to find for a used copy and mail it to him; it seemed nearly old-sock precious to him.

The latest package DougD package, with a faux-label for display on his shop Wall of Infamy, is ready for the Post Office. I had to check the correct spelling of Smegma.

Appalachian Mountain Club River Guide there were guides one for MA CT and RI another for NH and VT and another for Maine.

We were on Grand Manan Island New Brunswick for a week. I had every intention of mailing to Rob and Christy the books promised.. We actually showed up at the little Canada Post office in Grand Harbour (pop less than 600) before opening hours and the postmistress opened the door and let us in as she was preparing to open.
She was so kind and apologetic. She looked at our books and said that it would cost $25 for each package. EEK!.. Canada Post does not have a book rate! She knew what USPS rates were and said that we would be better off mailing from home..
Being a Canadian she apologized a lot.

Our visit was lovely.. paddling yes.. talking politics yes.. No arguments and no frayed nerves..
Lighthouses
Fog
Lupines.
Sunsets.

Last edited:
Mike..........
Sent the book to Iskweo today, cost was $26.25, when you sent it to me from Maryland it was $3.79. Crazy what postage is between USA and Canada.
I enjoyed the book a hope that she enjoys it too. Thanks for the great idea and for sending it to me.

I received my book "When The Chestnut was in Flower" in the mail today, along with a bonus book that I have never read, "The Story of the Chestnut Canoe". It was sent to me by Christy, aka Iskweo from Manitoba.
She had received it from Richard Barnes, aka Boreal Birch from Alaska.
He had received it from Mike McCrea from Maryland.

I'm glad I have the books now, I will be removing the canvas from a Chestnut I bought earlier this year in New Brunswick and the books will help me determine if the canoe is as old as I suspect.

Back