• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Paddling and Poling on the White River in VT

Reaction score
I don’t know if this post should go in the Poling section, the Solo section, or the Tandem section, so I’ll put it here.

We had nine canoes (1 tandem, 3 solos and 5 polers) running the 11-mile section of the White River from Stockbridge to Bethel in VT. The river was a little low for the paddlers, but at a perfect level for the polers. Rock-dodging was the order of the day and we had to pick our lines carefully to avoid the shallows. There were also two class II(+) rapids to keep things interesting – the first a rocky ledge drop that we ran to the left, and the second is a shoot with large waves that we ran center/right. 11-miles rock dodging and a couple of nice rapids – what’s not to like.

Lots of pictures here (it was a good day for pictures – I was in the bow of the tandem boat):

Very nice pictures, Erik. Since just about all the pictures are of whitewater, I'll move the thread to that forum.

I don't believe I ever paddled the White River. Nice to see so many open canoes on a trip. Was that a club trip and, if so, what club?

Very nice pictures, Erik. Since just about all the pictures are of whitewater, I'll move the thread to that forum.
Thanks Glenn - that works.

I don't believe I ever paddled the White River. Nice to see so many open canoes on a trip. Was that a club trip and, if so, what club?
The White is a classic New England river. Not wilderness and not remote, but very pretty running through the hills and farmland of central VT. At the right level there are miles of quickwater and easy rapids that are great for paddling or poling. This was not a club trip, just an informal group of open boaters/river trippers. We try to do a couple of trips a year, and this is always one of them. On this trip, most people were poling, but I was paddling tandem in my Mohawk Whitewater 16, and we had 3 solo boats - XL-13, Wenonah Wilderness and a Novacraft Supernova. Always a good mix of boats, lots of good paddlers, and aways a good time.

Nice! Looks like a great day. The Peavine Whitewater Race is being held on that same stretch this Saturday, May 4th. I raced the last two years but can’t make it this year. It’s a lot of fun, usually with more water. That one steeper drop is a new feature after last year’s flooding. Such a beautiful river with excellent trout fishing and lots paddle-able tributaries in the area. A very nice river map that includes those tributaries can buy bought here:

Peavine Race info and great videos here:

This was us running the "new" rapid. Amy (who is in the video) asked me about it, and I had no idea what she was talking about. Looks like it has been there forever.

newdrop.jpg

Great photos. Plenty of skill. A post like this makes me wish I lived near a paddle club.
But living in the West is its own reward.

Back